Toyota PRIUS...SLOW?!?!?

i heard they are really slow at accelerating, and can barely keep up with traffic on the freeway and that they are not very smooth like you can feel every bump on the road.

Are these true? Would it be a good idea to get the top of the line model for more HP?

Favorite Answer

The Prius is not a sports car, but I have no trouble at all accelerating onto the highway or keeping up with traffic. The ride seems fine to me, and the interior noise at highway speeds seems lower than on other cars I've had, due, I think, to the aerodynamic design.

I was actually being followed by some friends in an SUV the other day, and when we got to our destination they commented on how I had left them in the dust at the on-ramp to the highway. True story! During maximum acceleration, the Prius engages both the gasoline and electric motors simultaneously, which gives you something like 150hp. Once you are up to speed, it typically uses one or the other, which is why it gets such great mileage. Love this car!

Source(s): 2006 Prius owner.

The Prius isn't a speedy little sports car, but it's not supposed to be. It goes 0 to 60 in about 10.3 seconds, which is pretty average for a mid-sized sedan. I never have any problem accelerating up to freeway speed, and the ride is extremely comfortable.

There are a lot of myths out there which are spread by people who have never owned or even driven a Prius. Talk to any owner and they'll tell you it's an awesome car.

Source(s): 2007 Prius owner

Wasn't it Al Gore's kid who got stopped doing 100+ mph in a Prius. So much for "barely keep[ing] up with traffic". I've never tried to find out the maximum speed my '07 but its acceleration is perfectly adequate and the ride comfort is what you'd expect from a fairly light car.

Top of line is not more hp. The Prius is as fast as Toyota Camry and goverened at 120 MPH. As far as ride you can put an almost full cup of water on middle between seats and will not spill driving normally. This is what thousands of people who have bought at our dealership say and what I have learned from training and experiance.

if you don't like slow car do not buy you won't be a happy camper... buy corolla or something little powerfull