Car or SUV?

So, I am really torn right now. I'm not sure if I should get a car (most likely a coupe with limited passenger seating) or an SUV. I'm currently 17 and I'm going to be keeping this vehicle for a while.

The reasons why I'm torn between the two is I really like driving, and just the thought of taking a sports car down some twisties makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.. but, I live a fairly outdoorsy/active lifestyle, biking, hiking, powersports, etc.. and I LOVE road trips, especially if I'm driving. I'm just thinking that a small coupe, while it will be fun for shorter backroad driving, it will be annoying on a road trip, and I won't be able to haul around as many people/as much stuff. But then again, I'd be saving gas with a coupe.. argh!

Any thoughts?

Favorite Answer

If this is going to be your only car, and you get an SUV, get a small one. Otherwise, you'll be cursing the thing every time you go to the gas pump. With a small coupe, it would only be when you're trying to cram a bunch of cargo into it.

Thing is, with good tires, almost every car can go almost everywhere. Unless you're doing some serious off-roading, you do not need 4 wheel drive or massive ground clearance to go outdoorsy places. Hell, you don't even need 4WD to drive on unmaintaned roads in winter, as long as you have good snow tires (preferably studded) and aren't incompetent behind the wheel. (And if you're good enough at maintaining the car's orientation, you don't even need snow tires, not even in a RWD car...at least on level ground.)

The only time you would NEED a 4x4 SUV is if you want to go completely off-road...either on trails with rocks too big to be cleared by a regular car, or on surfaces too loose for a 2WD vehicle to move over.

Oh, and it isn't that hard to pack a ton of **** into a coupe. Just remember that the short people go in the back.

Anyhow, I'd say if you go with an SUV, you might want to find an old Suzuki Samurai or Geo Tracker. Fuel economy is pretty decent, and they've got good off-road capability. The Samurai has LEGENDARY capability.

If you go for a coupe (or better yet, a hatch), the Honda Civic is reliable, handles well, and some versions are pretty quick. Just remember not to buy a modified Civic. (You are not equipped to know if it was modified well, or if it was abused. If you were so equipped, you wouldn't be asking this question, you'd know your answer.) Also it has good fuel economy, and is FWD, which is easier for a novice to handle in inclement conditions.

A Honda Accord coupe or Honda Prelude (for the most part, pretty much the same thing) would also be a good choice, but with more space, and slightly inferior fuel economy. Also the Accords are less likely to be riced to hell.

If you want to split the difference, get a Subaru Legacy, Forester or Impreza. Fuel economy is better than almost any SUV, handling is very good (even on the Forester) and they've got plenty of space (especially the Legacy and Forester). Be careful of 2.5 liter engines from the 1990s to early 2000s, however. Read up on the subject first.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Car or SUV?

The reasons why I'm torn between the two is I really like driving, and just the...

Source(s): car suv: https://biturl.im/gprui
  • sinko

Car Or Suv

• hamn

That all depends whats more important to you: Style, safety, pricing, or convience?

The two door is going to give you the style, but insurance is going to be high, and space is going to be limited

The SUV will give you convinent, BUT high gas prices will affect your decision.

I'd suggest you getting a hatchback. Its like the best of both worlds. They're good on gas, and have the same funtionality as an SUV

good hatchbacks would be:

Toyota Matrix

VW Rabbit/GTI

Mazda 3

Good luck, and happy driing

An SUV takes a lot of gas plus it's big. At 17, I think a coupe would be so stylish!!

car...better gas mileage..looks for something that will get good gas mileage.

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

2002 Ford Focus

2002 Nissan Altima

Source(s): autotrader.com...one of my favorite websites