Since most states now have constitutional amendments to ban gay marriage, is it now a lost cause in the US?

Unless the Supreme Court steps in and invalidates all the constitutional amendments and the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which I don't see happening soon, is gay marriage a lost cause everywhere except Massachusetts? Once a state has a constitutional amendment banning it, is that it for good? Or could it... show more Unless the Supreme Court steps in and invalidates all the constitutional amendments and the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which I don't see happening soon, is gay marriage a lost cause everywhere except Massachusetts? Once a state has a constitutional amendment banning it, is that it for good? Or could it still somehow become legal? I wonder if constitutional amendments themselves can be overturned...?