Dos and donts of a wedding gift registry?

We are going to set up our wedding gift registry soon and would like some tips and advice before we do it. What are some things to do and not to do, when setting up a gift registry? Also, is it OK to put a moderately priced vacuum cleaner on there (eg. $500)? Of course we would not expect anyone to buy it but just... show more We are going to set up our wedding gift registry soon and would like some tips and advice before we do it. What are some things to do and not to do, when setting up a gift registry? Also, is it OK to put a moderately priced vacuum cleaner on there (eg. $500)? Of course we would not expect anyone to buy it but just in case a few people want to put their money together and get it?
I was not sure what is acceptable and what is not so please help, I don't want any family to think badly of us if we do it wrong. Thanks!
Update: Diane B, why should we not be getting married if we can't afford to buy expensive things? Many people can't afford expensive things but that doesn't mean they should not get married. They still do anyway. I think that is a bit unjustified.
Update 2: BTW, in my area, $500 for a vacuum clean is moderate, top of the range here would be $1000 but I think that is crazy obviously.
Update 3: Also, we will not be having wedding showers, this is for wedding gifts only.
Update 4: PS. I live in Australia and we don't have Bed Bath Beyond or JC Pennys. We do have Target but they don't do bridal registries here. We only have Myer and David Jones to register at which are both high end.
Update 5: Sharon, the vacuum we would like to list is a Dyson lol! I have heard they are good and I thought maybe there is a small chance a few people will put in and get it because it is a good quality item that will last ages.
Update 6: Thanks everyone for all your help, it has been really great!