Becoming an Au Pair around La Ciotat and Marseille in the South of France in 2009.What do I need to know?

The family lives beachfront around La Ciotat, not far from Marseille, and I will have a lot of free time. Of course I am already aware of the Au Pair-related issues with the family, visa, etc etc and so these need for explanation there. I will be taking French lessons while I am there, as well as hopefully... show more The family lives beachfront around La Ciotat, not far from Marseille, and I will have a lot of free time.

Of course I am already aware of the Au Pair-related issues with the family, visa, etc etc and so these need for explanation there. I will be taking French lessons while I am there, as well as hopefully finding a short course before I go as I really only know the basic greetings. With this family my only real job is to immerse their children in the english language (the family is already multilingual and the children speak basic english).

Apart from the language barrier which I am trying to overcome, what should I know about people and the lifestyle in the South of France area and how to make the most of my time there? (I will be 18 at the time, am Australian, although have travelled enough to be very open minded when it comes to culture shock!) Any other interesting information or support anybody has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1 answer 1