how much money does it take to fill up a average semi with gas?

just curious, because the diesel fuel is even more then regular, i was just wondering how much it would cost to fill one of those big trucks!?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Fueling a truck will depend on how big the fuel tanks are. Everyone here has stated specific sizes and there are a lot of variables involved when it comes to truck tanks and their capacity.

I have seen truck with two 40 gallon tanks to the last one I drove which had a pair of 150 gallon tanks. The purpose of the large tanks is not so you can go further, but so you can buy fuel where it is the cheapest. Most trucking companies have people who's only job is to track fuel prices and make sure that the fleet only buys fuel at the places where they can save money.

I ran for a company in 2006 that had 1200 trucks... the fuel bill from July to August, because of price increases, cost the company and extra $1,000,000.00 (million), just in fuel costs, for that month. Imagine what it is now.

Most average road trucks in the US will carry around 200 gallons of fuel... if you fuel at a 1/4 of a tank... That's still 150 gallons... times $4.00 + per gallon..... it gets a little spendy....

I hope this helps....

Source(s): 30 years and 2.5 million accident and violation free miles in a truck... I guess my source is personal experience... :-}
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

how much money does it take to fill up a average semi with gas?

just curious, because the diesel fuel is even more then regular, i was just wondering how much it would cost to fill one of those big trucks!?

Source(s): money fill average semi gas: https://shortly.im/B8XMx
  • 3 years ago

Nullarbor Fuel Prices

• 1 decade ago

IT would depend on the size of the fuel tank or tanks but on average my 2005 Mack would take $950 to $1000 to fill both tanks from almost empty. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Source(s): Mechanic and ex truckie
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Can you multiply 80 gal. X $4.25? Then figure about 3-4 mpg. It is expensive to run a semi.

• 1 decade ago

G'day!

How much it costs does depend on the fuel tank configuration. I am in Australia, and for 250 litres it is costing me about $400 at present. That is $1.60 per litre for diesel.

Depending on what work the truck is doing will determine how much fuel is carried on the truck. Australian trucks can vary from 25 imperial gallons up to 700 imperial gallons. The 700 gallon trucks usually do trips from Perth to Brisbane. Queensland has cheap diesel, so the operators load up on fuel in Brisbane before they set off across the Nullarbor Plains. The fuel tank configuration is 4 X 450 or 500 litre tanks, depending on the wheelbase of the truck, plus a belly tank on each of the trailers. A belly tank can hold from 400 litres to 2,000 litres. Work on the cost of $1.45 per litre in Brisbane, and the money soon adds up!!! The price of fuel on the Nullarbor Plains is around $2.00 per litre... is cheaper to buy and carry your own for as far as you can!!!

For reference for you... 4.57 litres = 1 imperial gallon. I am not sure what the conversion rate is to U.S. gallons. Sorry.

Hope that this has been of help to you.

Ding.

Source(s): Australian road train operator.
  • 1 decade ago

I drove an eighteen wheeler cross country for a few years. Most semi's carry either two eighty gallon tanks or ninety gallon tanks. You do the math.

• 1 decade ago

A semi holds 200 gallons of diesel, the fuel cost about $4.oo per gallon thats $800.00 bucks!!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It doesn't take money to fill, it takes diesel fuel.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.