Lisa asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

If my gym offers free childcare, how much should I tip? I have 2 kids under the age of 3.?

Best Answer

I would say 2 dollars per child per hour. its still way less than you would pay a sitter

• fun

wow, if you do the math tipping is worst than paying for childcare while you workout, I mean..if you go there for 1 hour every day and lets say you give a $5 tip, that's 25 a week (if you only go for 5 days)...I pay $10 a month and If I don't want to pay monthly then is $5 a day. I would rather pay than giving a tip, I would feel bad in leaving a small tip because I know that my 2 year old boy is very active.

I am the supervisor of a gym's childcare room -- Mind you, it is not free -- however, I have still been offered extra compensation which I obviously refused. I would expect they would not feel comfortable accepting money from you -- however, a great alternative might be if you really like them, ask them if they babysit/nanny occasionally and then pay more than you normally would (if you feel right about it)

• Cam

My gym offers free childcare with a family membership. I consider the high monthly fee as the tip.

I agree with the person who said 2-3 dollars an hour. Also, don't listen to the person who said that going to the gym is "silly." There is so much that you can do for your body that is beneficial at the gym that a walk would never do. Kudos to you for taking care of yourself.

It depends on how long you are there, I'd say $2-3/hour. Of course one time I could hear my son screaming and crying for a good 10 minutes so I tipped more that day because he was cranky from not having a nap earlier.

I have never tipped for that . I asked when I joined and they said no.. so maybe ask the manager if that is something you should be doing. it is most likely a no. I hate it when places ask for tips for things like that. I also don't like those tip jars at restuarants. i just tipped the wait staff why would I tip the cashier? anyway just ask them lol

are you supposed to tip for free childcare?

• CF_

honestly if you have 2 kids.. save your money - dont go to the gym.. go for a walk - take the kids to the park..

push the youngest and the oldest can walk- set a good example for them to excersize in the open air..

dont pay for something like this - its silly..

• naenae

Move to Australia, where you dont tip anywhere