Music or lyrics?

Which do you think is the more important element of a song... the actual music, or the lyrics? And explain why you think that way.

Favorite Answer

I think most of the people who answer with Lyrics are mainly girls, probably teenage.

Why? Seems more often than not that the younger generation don't appreciate fully the musical qualities of the music we listen to. Partly because the majority of mainstream music is rubbish. Obviously not all of it, but the majority.

Lyrics can be used to tell a story and convey or invoke emotion, but let's not forget that music can do that too. Classical music can make you feel incredibly euphoric or sad. Listen to Chopin's Tristesse or Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 2nd movement as examples.

Music is the attraction and good lyrics can turn a good song into a great song.

Don't get me wrong, I love good lyrics. Some of my favourite artists like Queen, David Gray, Elton John, and even contemporary like The Fray are all good lyricists. I just think the MOST important element is the music, and secondly comes the lyrics. Together however, they can make fantastic combinations.

Boys/men might say the beat is the most important. Just as short sighted as the girls with lyrics, the beat is not the only element of music. Next time you hear a song you like, listen to it carefully and try to explain to yourself why you like it. Is it good musically, does it harmonise well, or are the lyrics the main feature?

Just food for thought. By the way, not a rant at teenagers by an old geezer, I'm 17.

Source(s): Personal opinions and experiences

It depends on whether the song is loud or quiet.

If it's a louder song, I think the music is more important, and that the lyrics are just there to give the song a little meaning and to complement the music.

In a quieter song, I think lyrics are more important. I believe I feel this way because it's easier to hear the lyrics. I think the music is there so that the song wouldn't be straight, flat-out words.

I believe(my opinion) is that most one hit wonders were because of the actual music(sounds cool) rather than the content of the lyrics themselves. I like different music for different moods, something with lyrical content when I'm laid back thinking and some good old noise when I'm out to have a good time. What makes albums sell for the artists would be the answer. If they can combine both and pull it off! GREAT

The Lyrics definetly! The lyrics gives the meaning of the piece. It is what the song is about. but the music is important too.

• Josh D

I think both are important because you need lyrics to have a song you need music to go with the song

I live with my boyfriend who is a professional musician and we have this argument all the time. It completely depends on your audience. Personally, I love to sing and dance, so I usually prefer simplistic tunes that I can dance and sing along to (aka everything on the radio), so the lyrics are important. Through my boyfriend I have also found complex melodies and harmonies also enjoyable. Have you ever heard a song written in 13 time? It's pretty freaking amazing!!!

I believe much of the population looks for lyrics that they can relate to, hence why love is such a common topic of song-writers. Much of the population sees mainstream music as the best there is out there. This is quite unfortunate because many of the mainstream singers/musicians cannot really play their instruments. This would be why the majority of music is written in 3/4 time. In short, it all depends on your audience.

i think its pretty hard to say, because the lyrics can be pretty profound, but 95% of the population, when they first hear a song are going to pay more attention to the beat first, then if they like that the lyrics come next. But at the same time, if the lyrics suck the likeness factor of the song goes down.

Music gives us the rhythym of the song, where as the lyrics are like poetry or a story. But i would have to say music, many songs are made without lyrics

Defiantly music, a song can sound perfect without lyrics, but if you take away the music, the lyrics mean nothing.

I think it's the music. I listen to songs and I wouldn't have a clue what the lyrics are. But then again, it depends on what genre the song is.