Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Who is the best #2 WR in the league?

Well everybody knows about the #1's in Owens, Holt, Johnson, Smith, Harrison and so on down the line, but the #2 receiver is just as important, so who is it?

10+ to best answer

Like the night time, I wanna see the Starz shineeeeeee

For all current #2's

Fitzgerald

Jennings

Housh

Wayne

Smith and Moss are number 1's

As far as I am concerned Stallworth is a 3 to Edwads and Joe J.

Favorite Answer

look at the pretty picture. Nuff said.

(I would give it to Wayne..but this year he was the #1 receiver, due to Harrison's injury. And honestly, considering Harrisons age, I would look for Wayne to continue to be #1.

Welker was the #3 WR at New England to be specific..... and I'll bet Gaffney will start at #2, with Welker staying in the Slot, since that is where he is best utilized.

And, while on any other team, Housh would be a number 1, Chad Johnson still has about 4 years of contract left, and will be with the Bengals at least this season (his Cap hit is too prohibitive at 8.03 million. Plus if the Bengals can get back to winning this season, he will shut up. Hence TJ is still the #2, and out of those mentioned, the best.)

Fitzgerald is close, but not quite there. The Cards are kinda funny..they almost have more like TWO #2 receivers, since that is the usual designation for a Possesion Receiver, and BOTH Boldin and Fitz are Possesion guys. Very good ones mind you, but still possesion guys. Imagine what they could do with a real QB and a true good deep threat.

Jennings is a very interesting prospect, and I believe he'll take over the second place #2 guy slot this year, unless he takes the #1 slot from Driver. But, if I had to choose between him and TJ, TJ has a longer proven track record, and takes unbelievable amounts of punishment. Jennings is only starting his third season this year...but will be a major threat for years to come.

Terry Glenn has trouble staying healthy these days, so he doesn't even get an honorable mention.

Donte Stallworth MIGHT show up as a great #2, but he hasn't done it yet. And if he make the Starting line-up he willbe the #2. Jurevicous is the Slot Receiver, or #2. Now technically, Kellen Winslow gets used as the #2 guy.... but he is still a TE, not a WR, so does not get considered in the conversation.

Anyone else folks want to trot out so I can try to pick 'em apart?)

Basic 3 Receiver lay-out:

#1 receiver is your Deep Threat GoTo (aka Moss, Ocho, TO)

#2 receiver is typically your Possesion Guy and first check-down (Stallworth, TJ, etc)

#3 receiver is your Slot Receiver, and can have several different styles, but is your 2nd check-down (Wes Welker, Chris Henry)

BTW...no one position is set in stone, but USUALLY, when you read an NFL.com article, or an ESPN one, this is what they are reffering too. the game has too many constant evolutions for ANYTHIng to be set in stone...as Owner pointed out in a nother Q..sometimes Owens or another receiver WILL line up in the slot. But that is the usual reference for it.

Source(s): ***Gary...sure, I'll pick him apart. Marvin Harrison is a #1 receiver, or at least was until age and injuries took him out of this season. He may well be a #2 THIS season, but until we see what he can do, and if he can really come back, he is not even IN this discussion. As a #1 we would be comparing him to TO, Driver, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, etc...... but this is about #2 WRs.... nuff said? **Gary pt 2...re-read what i wrote. If you are STILL confused, get back to me. And..not all Teams follow 3 receiver sets as their base model, nor do all team have the right personel to flesh one out. But, this is the dbasic set used for a 3 receiver corp. ALSO...as said...Wayne is NOW likely the #1. Until last season, Harrison was. Last season, Harrsion rode pine pretty much all year, and this season, which would be his frist as a #2, IF it happens, hasn't happened yet. Nothing ambiguous or confusing there. LAST SEASON, out of all the #2 WRs, TJ was the best producer, and the last several seasons, he has been neck and neck with the rest. Honestly Gary..it's not that hard to understand. Just step awaty from youur fandom for a moment. In this case, my fandom corresponds with reality. LAST season (2006)..I would have given it to Reggie Wayne. For 2007 TJ was the clear-cut winner. ****GEEZ...try to give a short concise answer for a change, and it turns into a bloody book. Thanks, Gary (lol!) Anyone know a good agent?****

Reggie Wayne has to be the best, they already have a all-star WR in Harrison, and Wayne still makes big plays. He could be a #1 WR for any other team in the league. Also, technically Wes Welker, Stallworth is an overated #2 and Welker played alot more. Welker is quick, small and uses his quickness well to get away from LB at the first down mark, also it is easier for him since everyone is worried about Moss.

Ryan its not steve smith...I know T.J. Houshmanzaddeh is probably a 1, but on the bengals depth chart, he is a 2!!!Wes Welker?hes number 2 moss....what abt Stallworth?Number 2 to braylon edwards!

Well if you consider Fitzgerald a #1 I would give it to him, but I don't really think he is. Wes Welker would have to be my top #2 right now with Reggie Wayne a close second. With Harrison hurt so much last year Wayne was actually the #1 there.

Reggie Wayne...u know the guy who had the most recieving yards in the NFL in the regular season...

Edit: Fine...if Reggie is now the #1 guy for the Colts, then Marvin Harrison is by far the best #2 WR in the league!!! U goina pick Marvin apart, TJ? I wanna see how you can say that ur boi Housh have done more than Marvin!

Edit: TJ, i disagree with your 3 receiver model...pray, tell me, what is the name of the Titans' deep threat? I don't think their #1 Justin gage qualifies as a 'deep threat'. For me, it's just a depth chart...how good u are statistically...any receiver can play any role...And i don't see why you have to be so restrictive...Ocho Cinco, Housh and Chris Henry are all legit deep threats!

Edit: TJ, make up your mind...is Marvin the #1 or is Reggie #1?...there can only be one #1! (You're flip-flopping worse than John Kerry!)

Edit: Well, i shall grudingly accept that TJ is the best #2 receiver, coz i can't come up with an argument on counter yours. but i still don't that a #2 receiver is a checkdown receiver...to me a checkdown is your safety blanket...if ur #2 is a check-down receiver...it means your depth is paper-thin...i'd say ur slot or TE would be checkdown...i'd say #2 would be mid-to deep threat. Though even your slot guy(Chris Henry) could in theory go deep...i say in theory coz few teams have the receiving depth of the Bengals or Colts that the slot is quick/talented enough to go deep...so to me the #1, #2, etc. is basically based on productivity. #1, #2, even slot changes from play to play...case in point: Colts v Pats this year...Moss their #1 lined up in the slot and burned our nickel Tim Jennings...it was a 50 or so yards TD! So anyone can line up anywhere and run any route on any given play.

Edit: Yes, TJ...nothing is set in stone...that's what i'm trying to say!!!

Source(s): Am I making sense?
  • Felepe

Whichever wide out you consider a #2, Fitzy or Boldin, that is the guy. they both had 100 catch seasons a year ago, last year it would have been the same if not for Boldin being injured. Fitz got good money and will get even better money when they once again restructure his deal. i think Boldin was like the 4th fastest player to get to 400 catches. Fitz will probably be right behind Rice in all the stats when he hangs up his cleets.

• Andy T

Fitz is pretty much the #1 to Boldin in Arizona, and I recall hearing Wayne is "officially" (not that it matters) the #1 in IND now.

Given that, I'd say Boldin. I'd say him even if Wayne is the #2 (if we go by what you say, I'd pick Fitz). Boldin is a beast once he gets the ball in his hands, breaking tackles and what-not. Fitz is is faster, can jumper higher, better route runner, and fights for the ball in the air more/better though IMO (which is why he's the #1 --he's also average more games playing (as both have had injury bugs) per year than Boldin).

Umm...Fitz is a number one in my book. Anquan is the numero dos. I'd say that Jennings of Green Bay is great, Wayne from Indy, and Wes Welker from New England(He needs to be a number 1). Santonio Holmes from Pittsburg, and Derrick Mason from Baltimore.

TJ Houshmandzadeh or Reggie Wayne

• Reggie Wayne of the Colts. You could make the argument he's the number one guy in Indy, not Marvin Harrison. I also agree with the person who said Larry Fitzgerald.