Are People Resistant to a Woman Becoming President & Why?

Hillary is a brilliant Candidate. She is respected the World Over, Down-to-Earth and is New and Different.

She will be the first woman President of the USA if elected, and that is exciting.

I have studied the candidates closely, and read hundreds of independent articles on all the candidates and trust Hillary, more than Obama, to lead the USA back to peace and prosperity.

I wonder if -- deep down -- some people are resistant to a woman becoming president, and why? I would hate to think we are moving backwards vs. forward in the area of sexual equality.

• Power
    Best Answer

I think there are women who don't want to see other women succeed. I also think there are men who get very upset when a man progresses more in life than they do. I don't care what sex or if they have sex or what color they are as long as they are caring compassion people who are creative enough to come up with a better solution to a problem than killing people. I also want someone astute at handling money who will leave the job having made the country richer rather than in debt.

• nana

I think Hillary would make a good President. Some of the media are resistant. If there is anything Hillary says the media picks it up to make her look bad. Like what she said about Obama's minister. She was asked this question and gave an honest answer and media makes her look bad. The situation about being under fire and what she said is being twisted. You know I think if Obama gets in his wife a female will be there also. I bet she will have a lot to say also. I bet she will be giving Obama some of her in put, right or wrong.

I think by the turnout of voters for her that America is not resistant to having a woman president. I personally would love to vote for a woman, just don't necessarily think she is the best candidate. I voted for Obama in the primary, but the most important thing for me (and the rest of America) is to make sure that our country doesn't have another republican to drive our country further into the ground. I will vote for Clinton if she makes the nomination. So many people support our need for a change in the system and they will do the same, no matter what!!!

I don't agree. The main problem for Senator Clinton, is that people associate her with Bill. For example the question that was asked of Chelsea. Her being a woman is the same as Barack being black or half white whatever you prefer. However, there are a few that don't want a woman to lead and why that would be different from a black or white man to lead is crazy to me. Its hard for the Senator. She does bring out her own ideas about different issues. but with a previous president being her spouse and a major campaign person for her, I'm sure is very difficult.

"Hillary is a brilliant Candidate. She is respected the World Over, Down-to-Earth and is New and Different."

You need to get out more. Hillary has ridden Bill's coat tails to get every position she's ever held. If she wasn't Bill's wife people from New York would have said Hillary who when she ranfor US Senate. She's a legend in her own mind and you are buying her BS.

I'm not against having a woman President. I just don't want Hillary for President.

I think some people are resistant to a woman in the White House, but I think more people are resistant to Hillary in the White House again. Your assumption that "Hillary is a brilliant Candidate" is mistaken. She's a tiresome candidate that has already proven that she will say or do anything for her own gain. I.e., ducking for cover in Bosnia.

No. People are resistant to HILLARY becoming President.

She is loathed the world over, greedy, a liar, and a tired Washington hack.

Lots of people who thought they would never possibly vote for a black president will vote for Obama just to keep her out.

Yes, because we live in a male dominated society and we feel threatened by a woman gaining power. Look at history and Black men have always gained rights before women and have also gotten positions of power before women. It's quite simple actually, men fear that if women gain power then somehow that makes them less men. See Freud's theories. Additionally, Blacks have hijacked the equality/race relations conversations in this country. You never hear about Susan B. Anthony, César Chávex, Soujourner Truth, etc. but we always hear about MLK, Malcolm X, Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, etc. It's no coincidence, people are much more fearful of being called a racist than of being called sexist.

How revealing that the first answer is from a person who completely wipes out the fact that Senator Clinton has worked for the party for three decades. Senator Obama is being welcomed into the "old white boys club" as the token black.

Sexism is not only alive in the USA it is rampant. The "boys" don't want any girls in their club and they have hung out the sign "no girls allowed".

It's a problem is sexism that is prevalent even in most Western countries, only a minority of which have ever had female Prime Ministers or executive presidencies. In countries like Ireland and Finland yes there are female presidents, but they are largely ceremonial rather than executive positions. I think there is a lot of sexism in the US especially in the Red States where a woman's place is seen as being in the home.