Brown Recluse Spider - Exterminator or Home Treatment?

I found a Brown Reculse spider in my bathtub last night. (yes, it has a fiddle on it's back.)

We aren't just crawling with them, but I have seen a couple in the past year or so. I need to know if I should try to treat at home or if it is worth the cost of an exterminator.

I called my exterminator and the cost for initial treatment is $200-$600 but I should be on the lower end of that. They treat inside the walls, under the house, in the attic, and come back for 3 treatments every 2 weeks.

This is kinda a big expense for us right now, and I'm not sure if it is worth it to drop that much for a few spiders.

I know what these spiders can do - but I am also considering trying to control them on a budget and then calling an exterminator if that doesn't work.

We have outside cats (not a concern) and 3 kids (1 full time - 2 part time.) I haven't seen very many, and they have only been in the bathroom and our bedroom.

Can I get your thought on this? What would you do?

• Lar
    Best Answer

The first thing you may want to do is see what sort of problem you may have inside...buy from Home Depot / Lowes mouse sized glue boards and place them in various places around the house against the baseboards and under furniture. If after a couple of weeks you feel you have a high population inside you may want to hire a pro. You can do it yourself, but a pro may have the ability to treat areas needed that you may not be able to. If you do treat yourself you will want a formulation of insecticide known as Micro-encapsulated for best results.

If you go with a pro sounds like you need to shop around, the price you were quoted is OVER inflated.... just a general pest treatment with the normal guarantee is all you need. You should be able to locate someone who won't take advantage of your concerns.

Source(s): 20 years of pest control

Brown Recluse Extermination

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I called...

Source(s): brown recluse spider exterminator home treatment: https://bitly.im/wTCrP

In my backyard we have a huge "horse chestnut tree". Some years back someone suggested that we place a handful of these nuts when they fall off the tree in the fall. Under sofas, cupboards, beds and wherever possible and it will keep spider at bay. Being a little skeptical, we did try it anyway. And wolla, it works. Not a hundred percent mind you, but it sure cut the presents of these pests by about 80%. Try it, you have nothing to lose. I don't know whether it's the gas or what it is in these nuts but it does work.

Good Luck

Mickey

Totaly get at extriminator. just cuz u dont see them doesnt mean they arnt there and especialy because they are in your bedroom and bathroom. you dont want to climb in to bed one night and get a evil surprise. I did a study on brown recluses and black widows... two of the top five most poisonous/ deadly bugs... and they are not nice to be bitten by . And you should be worryed about your cats.... there was a germanshepard dog that was bitten by one of those things and almost died because.... well ill spare you the gruesome details. But mainly for the sake of your family get an exterminator!!!

Scary! I hate spiders, especially ones that are poisonous! Have you seen those nasty photos of brown recluse bites? Don't Look if you haven't!

There are solutions for doing it yourself: http://www.pestprojoe.com/home.php?cat=283&rootcat...

I trust Bulwark Exterminating, but not many others. Especially when it comes to spider control. Spiders are extremely difficult to control.

My recommendation, if its not Bulwark then do-it-yourself.

• p

You can try home treating it, but these spiders are very dangerous, which i know you said you already knew. I understand it can cost a lot, but if somebody in your family were to get bitten, the hospital bills would probably be more. What kind of home remedy were you thinking of trying?

• boots6

My fiancee was bitten by recluses twice when he was younger.. his home was treated even tho his family really couldn't afford it at that time. its far better to get it taken care of than to wind up with a huge hospital or funeral bill.

I know of someone that was bitten by one of those , and she was in big trouble for a while . Call the Exterminator , better be safe then sorry!

• jim w

those people are huge rip offs . dont use them they water down the stuff they use so they have to come back. buys youre own sprayer and all at home depot and start in the attic work down and go near the window where you seen them comeing in. when you do outside put mothballs down this will keep the cats from going anywhere near where you sprayed its all gonna cost you a few hours and 30 bucks. spray youre water meater out to they love getting in there