promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My ex husband hacks into my computer?

Mt husband and i seperated and he is still able to get information on what i'm doing on the computer..Isn't it illigel to download a keylogger?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

change the administrative password so he can't access remotely. then go to.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

free online scan that will detect key-loggers and spyware as well as viruses and get rid of them.

disable system restore and re-boot in safe mode with networking (F-8 when the computer starts). before you run the scan because most spyware will start when the computer starts up and some you can't delete if it is running. safe mode loads with minimal resources. some malware will reside in system restore and replicate when it is active.

if all else fails call your internet provider and have them reset your IP adress. without the IP he can't access remotely.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he could be using a remote admin tool like rudyRAT or sharK

this is what i would do:

backup all important data

format and reinstall XP

after doing that, get AVIRA antivirus and ZONEALARM firewall (do not use norton or mcafee)

once you have installed these, change your IP address, by following these steps

1. Go to the start menu

2. Go to "run"

3. type in "cmd" (without quotes)

4. A black box will pop up, this is called the command prompt

5. Type in the following "ipconfig /release" [doing this will cut off your connection to the internet, this is supposed to happen]

6.There should have been text that popped up, ignore it, its just technical stuff. After the internet connection has been severed, either A. type in ipconfig /renew OR B. restart your computer

this will have eliminated all things he could have planted, and will prevent him from using his Remote administrator tool on you again. but, never talk to him on MSN, never send him and email, and never accept anything computerish he might try and send you, he will be able to reinfect you if you do

what a creepo he must be, no wonder you were to good for him

• 1 decade ago

If you don't know someone that can help you easily clear out your computer (keylogger, spyware, etc..), I'd recommend backing up all your important files to CD/DVD (photos, documents, music, mail, etc...). Then use the system restoration CD to get a fresh installation of your operating system and install any security applications (anti-virus, SpyBot Search & Destroy, etc...) and OS patches. Make sure to use a different set of passwords for any of your local logins and change all your online passwords too. You should also change your router password too so he can't exploit your network (if you don't know the password for that, use the reset instructions for it from the router vendor's website).

• 1 decade ago

It's not illegal to download a keylogger, or even to use one if you've revealed to all of the potential users of a computer that the logger is installed and active.

However, installing a keylogger on a computer that you do not own, without permission, and without revealing its presence is not legal (if nothing else, it falls under stalking statutes, and depending on jurisdiction may fall under others as well). If you have proof that a keylogger was installed on your computer, and proof of who installed it, you can take that to the police.

(NB: I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as a formal legal judgment. Talk to the police, or a lawyer, for further clarification of your options.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its not ilegal to do it, but if he uses the information to steal your money then obviously it is. All i can say is watch your bank statements.

In the mean time go to http://grisoft.com and download AVG anti-virus and run a scan, this should get rid of any nasties he's infected your computer with.

• 1 decade ago

Any act which allows you to see data which is private and which you should not have access to is punishable by law in most countries.

Try and determine what he has accessed, and whether it was plain that it was your information and he should have no access to it.

Consult with professional legal help to deal with this situation, it is a violation of privacy and is punishable by law. Do not take any action yourself as you might injure your ability to pursue is legally.

Hope this helps

Chris

• 1 decade ago

Factory Restore, and its done. No Spy Ware , No Hacks

• 1 decade ago

Call ur husband over.... Make him his fav food, treat him to the best wine u can get.... Make love to him all night long and allow him wherever he wants to go....

Then u will never need any **** keyloggers or scanners.... He will only need ur body and nothing else.....

Pffftt !!

• 1 decade ago

get a new computer. change all passwords and and login names, you,re gonna have to do that to get rid of him, if it's a laptop security enable your router and not the basic kind of security, get a professional to do it for you. get new accounts for every thing. just get new everything.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Illegal?

If hes getting it through your computer when he goes on it then just password protect it.

If hes getting it from spyware download a spyware protection.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.