Do you know of any prominent figure with bad grammar/spelling whose religious ideas are taken seriously?

It seems to me like every prominent figure with ideas about religion is capable of using proper grammar and spelling in their writings/speeches. In fact, I can't think of anybody who uses bad spelling and grammar but still has his/her ideas taken seriously.

Do you know of anybody whose religious views are taken seriously even though they have worse grammar and spelling than a third grader?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

George Bush. The guy is a total moron yet some actually believe he was "born again". I think his actions have proven otherwise however.

• 1 decade ago

Well, if you mean here on R&S, I hope I do. I know my grammar and spelling are bad (almost wrote is), but it is the message one is trying to convey that is important. True, grammar and spelling help get the point across easier and make it easier to be taken seriously.

Spell check does not work all the time and sometimes I try to cut and paste for the reasons above. Yet I can get pressed for time and just write as best I can so the person can recieve a good answer which should not be confused with a scholarly work.

My Father, who only has a 6th grade education, can barely write and yet when he does I do not write him back or correct him. He deserves respect and is quite smart on spiritual matters and other areas as well. Plus there are few pieces of equipment he cannot operate. We of the College set could learn from his example.

Only a fool passes up knowledge because of grammar and spelling.

• 1 decade ago

Nobody comes to mind, but seeing as I come from a Spiritual belief with a long oral history tradition, spelling and grammar don't really rate that highly.

All the same, I would think, in a culture that places a great emphasis on the written word, a Holy Man with poor grammar would not get the kind of respect they might otherwise deserve.

Animist.

• 1 decade ago

There was no set "spelling or grammar" in English until the invention of the dictionary. The first one was in the 1500's. Any work written prior to that would have had "bad" grammar/spelling!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Eldridge Cleaver

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Even the Dalai Lama speaks perfect English.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We have tons of grammar and spelling gimps on here....but I'm not sure many of them are taken very seriously. It has a tendancy to put people off when they use "then" instead of "than."

• 1 decade ago

You made me think. I don't know of any either. I do know that sincere religious leaders usually have enough humility to ask for help with their grammar in private, and enough faith to believe that those who hear them and follow will get the message inspite of any human shortcomings.

• 1 decade ago

G W for sure, but it has been a long time since anyone with an IQ over 80 has taken him seriously!

BB

)O(

Source(s): Luv the "Lil Bush" cartoon tho!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I personally could not take anyone seriously who cannot properly use the language in which he is trying to communicate.

• 1 decade ago

Sun Myung Moon! Of course there is that language barrier thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.