Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

The US was founded on Christianity? Really?

I thought most RSers had given up this argument, but I see that we either have many new people, or those who choose to ignore facts.

If you believe the U.S. was founded on Christianity and that the Pledge of Allegiance was written originally with "under god" in it (and use that argument for why it should stay), what do you think of the following?

Treaty of Tripoli:

...the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.

(Authored by American diplomat Joel Barlow in 1796, the following treaty was sent to the floor of the Senate, June 7, 1797, where it was read aloud in its entirety and unanimously approved. John Adams, having seen the treaty, signed it and proudly proclaimed it to the Nation.)

"Under God" was not added until 1954 in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Update:

Ken-did you miss "What do you think of the following?"

You can dismiss it, disagree, comment, or just be rude. Thanks for choosing one!

Update 2:

Mato-

Yes, yes he does. That obese ogre! :)

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Donna
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I love your new avatar! This country was not founded on christianity, they have no clue what they speak of.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The first people to come here were of a more Puritan society. That much is known. However by the time the 13 colonies became their own country it had become a country to freely be and do as you wanted. Freedom of Religion is one of the acts in the constitution but that means freedom to choose how to worship as well as freedom from religion entirely, if one so chooses.

• 1 decade ago

No it wasn't. Not the Christianity of the Messiah, at least.

I vaguely remember reading that there were many immoral (or at least violent and greedy) things done by the first American settlers. Forgive me for not being well studied on the topic yet still answering.

This country was founded on these principles and in Christianity it still thrives. We are willing to kill people in other countries, and we covet wealth. Feel free to disagree.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/diplomacy/barbar...

The above is a page from Yale Law School's website, calling into serious question Joel Barlow's translation of the treaty in general, *specifically* regarding the exact same statement you quoted. If Adams signed it, it was probably because he wanted a treaty in place. The document was never meant to be a statement of whatever principles the US was founded on.

If it's between you and Yale, I'm gonna go with Yale.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually, the US. was founded on a new european (mostly french) philosophy ("the rights Of man") etc--which were espousing the then new idea that people should be governed at their consent. Religious freedom was but a part of that thought--so no--was not founded on christianity but the new european philosophy that rulers govern at the consent of the governed.

• 1 decade ago

It's simply that they want to believe it was. The whole point was not to have a state religion and that we were free to have the religion we wanted. Not one that was forced upon us.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

What could possibly be considered unchristian about the massacre of all native peoples in order to take over their newly "discovered" land?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Thank you so much for that.

A free and enlightened society should never align itself with a particular religion or religion in general. The founding fathers clearly saw the danger in going down that dangerous path.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends on how deeply you want to dig. There are countless references to God, the Creator, in the founder's writings. The ancestors of many early Americans were deeply religious people that came to America to set up communities for the purpose of free Christian worship. Archaeology and anthropological research indicates that England and descendents that made it to America were from the lost tribes of Israel that were destined to set up a new Israel in a foreign land, and were the pioneers of western civilization and it's new principles.

• Jessa
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You are correct as the US officially being created but the settlements we started by people fleeing religious persecution. They we Christians. Its hard to say that a document makes it official but I am sure that most people in the country at its beginning were Christians and the only others were probably the Native Americans which have their own set beliefs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You are correct, religious institutions make up things to fit their needs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.