Why is Sentence A widely accepted as normal, and Sentence B widely dismissed as the rantings of a lunatic?

Sentence A :

"Jesus came into our living room last night, and spoke to all of us. He gave us the light, and showed us the way".

Sentence B :

"Aliens came into our living room last night, and spoke to all of us. They gave us the light, and showed us the way".

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeanne
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

lol Deke, I don't believe either scenario would be widely accepted or considered normal.

• 1 decade ago

Those uttering Sentence A do not intend to convey that Jesus was *literally* in the living room. They probably prayed for guidance ... waited ... and felt an intuition as to which direction should be taken. This intuition was accepted as guidance from Jesus since this is to whom they prayed for guidance.

Those uttering Sentence B were not likely praying to the aliens and therefore it is assumed they believed they saw aliens *literally*.

That's my take on it. Of course, I would never utter either sentence, darling.

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I dont think the problem is whether or not Christians believe being gay is a sin or whether they agree with a gay lifestyle. You can respectfully disagree with many things, without placing judgement. In my opinion, the problem is that many Christians forget that we arent here to judge other people, but to love other people. I dont understand how a Christian person can justify persecuting gay people or their life choices. I also dont see how gay marriage would effect them personally, therefore, why is it even an issue at all. I personally find both sentences absurd.

• 1 decade ago

I know how my friends would take either sentence, if I were to state, emphatically, that either happened to me. They'd demand to know what drugs I was on at the time of the "sighting" and why the hell didn't I share with them.

I am a believer. Both in Jesus and in aliens. I just don't know that I would believe anyone who said they saw either one, or both. Heck, even if *I* saw either one, I'd be questioning my sanity. lol

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wish I could help you but I don't believe in Living Rooms.

Actually, the answer is that Sentence A is only considered "normal" in America. Anywhere else in the world they'd be pumping you full of Thorazine.

Sentence B is the kind of slightly whaxcko stuff your "crazy" uncle comes out with, that you either ignore, or have a laugh over, at the pub, with your mates.

• Both are highly suspect in my opinion, BUT...

I guess it's due to the large portion of society that believes in Jesus. I think if just as many people believed in aliens as do Christianity, then sentence B would be OK.

• 1 decade ago

I would be suspect of both with out proof, and I am a Christian. I also believe there is sentient life somewhere else in the universe. I would have to see great changes, miracles etc to believe Jesus came to some ones living room. I would have to see some great new technology to believe the alien.

• 1 decade ago

I am a Christian and both sound like the rantings of a lunatic, Deke.

Jesus said, "You will not see me again until you say, Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord." The Second Coming has not occurred.

Aliens - I don't believe in. Fallen angels and demonic spirits I believe in.

Have a blessed day!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd have a problem with neither scenario. Whatever floats their boats.

Because I don't wanna be some superficial douchebag that only sees things from my own perspective believing all that differs is deranged.

• 1 decade ago

Sentence C: He does indeed screw on light bulbs for a living.

• 1 decade ago

Speaking as a Christian, I consider both notions preposterous. If I heard them from a family member or a close friend, I would encourage them to seek help.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.