Anonymous
Anonymous asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

這裡的Given的用法?

Given the economic rewards of producing and transporting drugs, it is not surprising that they are available almost all over the world.

請問這裡的given是當做被動 還是"假如"還是"由於"?

謝謝囉

3 Answers

Rating
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

我舉出三個常見含 "given"的句子作例子:

(1) Given these conditions, it is easy that any permanent economic or political instability in one area is bound to have an increasingly serious effect upon the rest of the world.

這裡的 given 是介係詞,其意義為 ''由於、鑒於、考慮到'' ( in view of, if one takes into account )

(2) Given good weather, our ship will reach Shanghai tomorrow.

這裡的 given 是分詞,其意義為 '' 如果有...、如果給予... ''。整個結構是一個獨立分詞結構。

(3) Given that x = y, then n(x+a) = n(y+a) must also be true.

這裡的 given (that) 是個從屬連接詞,其意義為 " 如果、假如 ",常常用於正式的書面與體,尤其用於論證。

在你的句子當中,我認為屬於以上分類的第一類,中文譯意為 " 由於從事藥品的生產及運輸能帶來經濟上的酬賞,無怪乎業者的觸角幾乎伸及世界各地了。 "

Source(s): Longman英語常見問題大詞典
  • 1 decade ago

答案是"由於"

因為這並非假設語態的句子.

The answer is . Apparently it's not a subjunctive sentence.

• Elisa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Given is not used as a passive tense. Let me explain to you the reason why.

Here, “they” refer to drugs. If we substitute “they” with drug, does it make any sense? No.

It is not surprising that drugs are available almost all over the world, if drugs are given the economic rewards of producing and transporting drugs.

Unless it is rewritten this way:

Given the economic rewards of producing and transporting drugs, it is not surprising that we make drugs available almost all over the world.

Then this means:

It is not surprising that we make drugs available almost all over the world, if we are given the economic rewards of producing and transporting drugs.

Given when used as adjective, means assumed as actual or hypothetical : granted as a supposition; acknowledged:

see http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/given or http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/given

For example: Given the condition of the engine, it is a wonder that it even starts.

So this sentence can be rewritten as:

Assumed (or Acknowledged) the economic rewards of producing and transporting drugs, it is not surprising that they are available almost all over the world.

I think that I would say 假設

References:

Myself, dictionary.com and Webster online dictionary

Source(s): Myself. Studied English abroad at the age of 11. Tutored English as an Undergrad. A project manager in the US since 1992.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.