Average productivity of programmers?

I'm sure I read some time ago that the actual productivity for producing software is between 3 and 5 SLOC (Source Lines of Code) per day per programmer for new lines of code, fully tested, reviewed and documented. Is anyone aware of such a number and who might have asserted this. My experience is that this... show more I'm sure I read some time ago that the actual productivity for producing software is between 3 and 5 SLOC (Source Lines of Code) per day per programmer for new lines of code, fully tested, reviewed and documented. Is anyone aware of such a number and who might have asserted this. My experience is that this number is probably true (averaged over large programs of course) but can't find any evidence to back this up. (I know that SLOC is a course measure but it's good enough for such rough rules of thumb)
Update: Just to clarify my question: this measure is NEW lines of code that are delivered, i.e. are put into use. If you took a completed software project, added up the number of lines and divided by the number of programmer days expended on the project (doing ALL the programmer activities required to produce quality code)... show more Just to clarify my question: this measure is NEW lines of code that are delivered, i.e. are put into use. If you took a completed software project, added up the number of lines and divided by the number of programmer days expended on the project (doing ALL the programmer activities required to produce quality code) you may well end up with what looks like a very low SLOC/day measure. What I'm looking for is some hard evidence one way or the other regarding this metric.