Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

Average productivity of programmers?

I'm sure I read some time ago that the actual productivity for producing software is between 3 and 5 SLOC (Source Lines of Code) per day per programmer for new lines of code, fully tested, reviewed and documented. Is anyone aware of such a number and who might have asserted this. My experience is that this number is probably true (averaged over large programs of course) but can't find any evidence to back this up. (I know that SLOC is a course measure but it's good enough for such rough rules of thumb)

Just to clarify my question: this measure is NEW lines of code that are delivered, i.e. are put into use. If you took a completed software project, added up the number of lines and divided by the number of programmer days expended on the project (doing ALL the programmer activities required to produce quality code) you may well end up with what looks like a very low SLOC/day measure. What I'm looking for is some hard evidence one way or the other regarding this metric.

Favorite Answer

It really depends on what you're doing... people who don't actually work in the field tend to not understand and assume us code monkeys just knock 'em out as fast as we can type them. Those who actually tend to do this are normally producing terrible code.

I wouldn't say it's 3-5 lines per day... first of all "lines" is a terrible measure for code. You are significantly better off measuring "statements" because that is more specific and overall more comparable between languages. I would say a programmer tends to output somewhere around 50-100 quality statements per work day (8 hours). That is to say, statements that actually mean something... this would ignore simple control statements such as conditionals, loops, etc...

To write real code, it requires real planning, and real thinking... some days, I might write 1000 lines of code and other days I might write 0... it all depends on what I'm doing and what I'm trying to accomplish. Overall, no matter what you're doing, it should all be equally productive if you plan to keep your job.

Source(s): EDIT: You're giving people thumbs down because you don't know how to phrase a question and are inable to understand why it's a silly question in the first place? The metric is useless... nobody would measure "lines of code" to grade productivity which is what your topic is looking for... learn to ask a question before you make demands on those that are helping you.

to begin with, i am a programmer to earn my living.

ive had a lot many days without writing a single line of code... which doesnt mean i dont work....

programming is much more than writing code & measuring SLOC.....

there is a diff between copy paste coders & programmers....

SLOC is a silly number anyways.... i can write my entire program in 1 line... and still its just 1 SLOC .... hehehe

• ?

1

3-5 lines per day?! If I only programmed 3-5 lines per day, I would be fired, lol.