A question to Non-Christians?

Are their times when you get more curious about what Christians are motivated by? Also, can you admit that there are some Christians who honestly try to be like Christ?

• Donna
    Favorite Answer

Yes and no.

Are their times when you get more curious about what Christians are motivated by?

HECK NO - I grew up in that religion and I certainly do not need to know any more.

Also, can you admit that there are some Christians who honestly try to be like Christ?

Maybe, but there are precious few of them. You see christians who honestly try and live like christ do not bring attention to themselves.

Christians who bring attention to themselves are like the pharisees who made sure that everyone saw them putting their donations in the box (paraphrasing something jesus said in the NT). One major example is Benny Hinn.

No, I'm never curious about what motivates Christians, it is their path to follow, not mine.

But yes, I can admit that I have met a couple of Christians that try to be like Christ. It is just unfortunate that I know so many more that are very judgmental and hypocritical in their lives.

I think that all good people have similar goals. In my religion - Judaism - there are, broadly speaking, two major reasons for being and doing good. One is for the greater good of humankind here on Earth, the second is for some reward in the afterlife. Since belief in an afterlife is essential in traditional Christianity, but not in traditional Judaism, I would say that each has a somewhat different focus. We may be taking different routes, but we get to the same place.

As far as leading a life in the imitation of Christ, there is a paradox in Christian theology. If you think of Jesus Christ as God, then you can never hope to equal his goodness, you can only strive to go in that direction. But if you consider Jesus as human, then it is possible (maybe) to equal his goodness. Speaking as an outsider I think that may be a more daunting task. The first asks only that you travel in the right direction, whereas the second implies arriving at the same destination.

As far as my personal viewpoint, I don't care what a person believes. I care about how the person behaves.

Please don't send me anything about how my beliefs will damn me to hell. Fortunately, that is up to God and not to you.

Hi Sf. I assumed Christians were motivated by the same things I am, a desire for happiness, a decent wage, to bring up their kids happy and well adjusted etc. Just that Christians have that book to base their decisions around, whereas I don't. I have to 'wing it'.

As for being like Christ, sure. There are plenty of people who try to do that, thankfully. Though I don't believe that they are necessarily all Christians.

Just my o. Peace and light.

.

I admit I am curious as to what motivates then to believe in Christ.

I think the number of Christians who try to be like Christ are very few and far between.

I'm pretty sure Christians are motivated by the same mammalian drifts and urges that have motivated all of mankind since before we fell from the trees so to speak (except some manage to tangle it all up in some big guilt complex), and I'm also sure most Christians are decent folk who are happy to get through another day.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist of the son of a god to figure out that being nice to each other is a good idea.

Not really to the first question.

I absolutely believe many Christians honestly try to be like Christ. Some even do a fairly good job of it.

• Sptfyr

Semper,Can you define Non-Christian? When you say non-christian...do you mean people who do not believe in God or are you asking anyone who does not consider themselves Christian?

Until then, as one non-christian...non-denominational, believer in God. I shall answer by saying. No, I'm not curious because I believe I know what motivates them. And, yes, I do think some try, but very few achieve.

• Aravah

answer: First part - no. I attempted to be Christian for years. It didn't work. Some are motivated out of a true spirit and wish to obtain heaven and to aid others. Others are motivated out of fear and just want to earn brownie points.

Second part: yes, there are good people in Christianity and I know a few. They walk the talk. Unfortunately there's too many that don't walk the walk and are very vocal about it - especially when judging others and coming across with an air of superiority. I cherish the good ones, even if we don't agree on spirituality.

Can you admit that there are good pagans, heathens, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, witches, etc and that there are VERY few evil religions? That they can be just as dedicated to their religions as you to yours?

Source(s): Reconstruct Heathen

No, I am never that curious about what motivates them -- I am aware of it, having grown up among them and knowing many very well.

I don't really know any Christians who try to be like Christ. I know many who admit it is not possible.

.