Dead Car Battery?

I am so mad! I finished work earlier and my car wouldn't start. I think my battery was dead as it was a low pitched noise when it was turning very slowly. Had to call my mate to jump start it (who ironically had to jump start her car off her mums) and it started after she gave her car some revs. When I was... show more I am so mad! I finished work earlier and my car wouldn't start. I think my battery was dead as it was a low pitched noise when it was turning very slowly.

Had to call my mate to jump start it (who ironically had to jump start her car off her mums) and it started after she gave her car some revs. When I was driving the radio turned off and the lights were dimmer than usual.

I got back home and turned the engine off and tried it again. It wouldn't start at all!! It had the same low pitched slow turning noise.

Why did it happen??? Thanks.

--Info about the car--

Ford Escort Mk4 1987 Petrol 1.3L with manual choke.
Update: Battery is new, had it installed October last year.

You could be on to something there. Fan belt is very loose and has been for a while I just never got around to sorting it as it ran fine.