Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Dead Car Battery?

I am so mad! I finished work earlier and my car wouldn't start. I think my battery was dead as it was a low pitched noise when it was turning very slowly.

Had to call my mate to jump start it (who ironically had to jump start her car off her mums) and it started after she gave her car some revs. When I was driving the radio turned off and the lights were dimmer than usual.

I got back home and turned the engine off and tried it again. It wouldn't start at all!! It had the same low pitched slow turning noise.

Why did it happen??? Thanks.

--Info about the car--

Ford Escort Mk4 1987 Petrol 1.3L with manual choke.

Battery is new, had it installed October last year.

You could be on to something there. Fan belt is very loose and has been for a while I just never got around to sorting it as it ran fine.

• Ahwell
    Favorite Answer

Either the fan belt is slipping, the alternator has packed up or the battery has died. It should only take a mechanic a few minutes to work out which it is. I'd start by looking at the fanbelt, that'll be cheapest to fix!

I've seen far more in the way of dead batteries than dead alternators.

Car batteries last no longer than hamsters. A dead car battery holds no charge. The alternator keeps trying to stuff electrons into it, but to no avail. They all just fall out again, like electric drool.

Car batteries, in a perfect world, would spend their entire lives at comfortable office temperature. Then they would last a crisp five years. They don't like the cold. But that's just tough luck for them - life under the bonnet is harsh.

Take old battery in car to Halfords (or wherever - get your jumpy friend to start you) and get a new one in. It will hold its charge. If it doesn't, the alternator was goosed. But the alternator isn't goosed. Getting a garage man to tell you that will cost the price of a battery.

If you've never had this problem before, your battery is probably old enough to be needing a change quite soon anyway, even if it is the alternator. Which it isn't.

• bobweb

Batteries only last 4 or 5 years on average, so you may need to buy a new one especially if the local auto store tests it and finds that it won't hold a charge anymore. They will also test your alternator for free while your there. You also need to have the battery cable connectors cleaned every year or so using a wire brush as shown in the video below.

http://www.ehow.com/how_512_replace-car-battery.ht...

Alternator is not working... you can test by restarting car with a jump and remove the POS cable from the battery while its running and if it stops running thats your problem, or you can have a mechanic put a voltmeter on the alternator. If its not alt its probally bad battery. Good luck.

If it is just the battery, try taking it for a long drive, that will re-charge it, however it does sound a lot like the alternator.

Your alternator has packed up. Should cheap to buy for an Escort and dead easy to fit. Expect it to take half an hour at the most.

If its very cold outside, it will diminish a weak battery. How old is the battery? How far did you drive? Have your belt tightened, sounds like that's the problem.

sounds like your alternator has died. it normally keeps the battery charged while driving...but as you drive yours it has drained the battery. Once your car starts (from a jump) it should run ...but will not start again w/o another jump.

Alternator died, that's is what happened to battery. Check alternator belt first make sure you have one and as well check battery cables , make sure they are tight or corroded. If everything good, replace alternator.

if the car battery is old, then one of the battery cells probably died

if not, then the thing in the engine that recharges the battery while the car is on is probably gonna need repair

Source(s): this happened to me like 4 months ago