The tax rebate..................If u owe the state of Maryland will u still receive the rebate or will it?

automatically be forfeited to the state

Favorite Answer

If the state of Maryland has submitted the debt to The Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS), your rebate will go to pay that debt.

According to the IRS:

Q. I'm eligible for a payment but I still owe federal income tax from a prior year. Will my payment be reduced?

A. Yes. For this purpose, the stimulus payment is treated like any other tax refund. This means that part or all of your payment can be used to pay past-due federal or state income taxes or non-tax federal debt such as student loans and child support. If this occurs, you will receive a letter explaining how the stimulus payment was applied.

Source(s): IRS rebate website

It will take a while before the state can get an attachment to your bank account. But if you're smart, you'll use that check to pay off your other debts - including state taxes.

sorry they will take it for all federal or state back tax offsets due until paid in full