Is the word "scoffer" offensive?

Would you report someone who asked a question using this term?

Best Answer

I sure like it better than Gainsayer...

No, it just tells you what kind of idiot is asking the question. By using the word "scoffer" they believe it lends credence to their beliefs because their holy book made the STARTLING PREDICTION that "scoffers" would poke fun at Christians ridiculous beliefs.

I'll tell you this much. If that's all it takes to be a prophet, I need to start up my ministry. Because I can make a lot more detailed "prophecies" than that.

• zero

No, I'm not the reporting kind of person. But it would be obvious to me what the asker thought of me before I even answered, so I would be likely to skip the question. How many believers would answer if we started addressing them as Schemers or The Deluded? Those are fighting words, not debating words. That's not really my style.

It's not offensive at all. Like, not even in the slightest. And even if it WERE offensive why report? I mean really...report someone for that, pshhh. Anyone who would do that must be a very sensitive little beotch. How sad for them. :(

Not at all. I would much rather be a scoffer than a scoffee.

Not at all! As a matter of fact, I laugh at some of the very creative names people come up with for us non-believers. In my opinion, who gives a crap, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? I would never report someone for something like that.

No, I don't think it is offensive. I have scoffed at George Bush's ideas many times these last few years.

*Whynot is such a perfect example as Christians are called idiots while he discusses our faith. Nice illustration, perfect for today.

it never occured to me that it is offensive, maybe because I don't consider myself a scoffer.

Scoffer is not offensive.

*scoffs*

• No, its a fine English word to describe someone who is showing ones contempt in derision or mockery.

if you call an open minded positive person "scoffer" , well its kinda offensive..not offensive , but insulting..

if you call a skeptical person by this tag, then its kinda apt.