Is the word "scoffer" offensive?

Would you report someone who asked a question using this term?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I sure like it better than Gainsayer...

• 1 decade ago

No, it just tells you what kind of idiot is asking the question. By using the word "scoffer" they believe it lends credence to their beliefs because their holy book made the STARTLING PREDICTION that "scoffers" would poke fun at Christians ridiculous beliefs.

I'll tell you this much. If that's all it takes to be a prophet, I need to start up my ministry. Because I can make a lot more detailed "prophecies" than that.

• zero
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No, I'm not the reporting kind of person. But it would be obvious to me what the asker thought of me before I even answered, so I would be likely to skip the question. How many believers would answer if we started addressing them as Schemers or The Deluded? Those are fighting words, not debating words. That's not really my style.

• 1 decade ago

It's not offensive at all. Like, not even in the slightest. And even if it WERE offensive why report? I mean really...report someone for that, pshhh. Anyone who would do that must be a very sensitive little beotch. How sad for them. :(

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Not at all. I would much rather be a scoffer than a scoffee.

• 1 decade ago

Not at all! As a matter of fact, I laugh at some of the very creative names people come up with for us non-believers. In my opinion, who gives a crap, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? I would never report someone for something like that.

• 1 decade ago

No, I don't think it is offensive. I have scoffed at George Bush's ideas many times these last few years.

*Whynot is such a perfect example as Christians are called idiots while he discusses our faith. Nice illustration, perfect for today.

• 1 decade ago

it never occured to me that it is offensive, maybe because I don't consider myself a scoffer.

• 1 decade ago

Scoffer is not offensive.

*scoffs*

• No, its a fine English word to describe someone who is showing ones contempt in derision or mockery.

• 1 decade ago

if you call an open minded positive person "scoffer" , well its kinda offensive..not offensive , but insulting..

if you call a skeptical person by this tag, then its kinda apt.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.