Why are houses so cheap in Greensboro, NC?

My husband and I are going to be buying our first house within the year. He's looking for a new (better paying!) job. We're both college graduates. We were driving to Myrtle Beach around new years, took the wrong exit and got lost in Greensboro. We both REALLY liked it there. I've gone down there to... show more My husband and I are going to be buying our first house within the year. He's looking for a new (better paying!) job. We're both college graduates.

We were driving to Myrtle Beach around new years, took the wrong exit and got lost in Greensboro. We both REALLY liked it there. I've gone down there to go shopping and stuff with friends a few times & I have college friends from the Greensboro/Winston Salem area. It's definitely where I want to live and I think it would be a nice place for kids to grow up.

I was wondering though, why are the houses a fraction of the cost of everywhere else I've lived (MD, FL, TN, PA, and currently VA)? I mean, the houses we've been looking at online there are like 125,000-145,000 and would definitely be over $250K here.

Is this a bad sign? Is the economy in trouble there? Are the jobs low paying? Is it just an awesome place to live haha? What is it?