map of ancient ghana (africa)?

does anyone have a link to a DETAILED map of ANCIENT ghana? i looked through google images, and i was unseccessful. they only had maps of current day ghana. so yeah, if you have an image of a map of ancient ghana, that would be great.

thanks

5 Answers

Relevance
  • gam
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what you are looking for. It is all a bit confusing (which is why I've had to edit this a couple of times) so I hope you'll bear with me.

The ancient 'Empire of Ghana' is in what is today known as Mali and Mauritania. The empire was also known as 'Wagadugu', which incidentally is also the name of the capital of modern Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou. Try searching for 'antique map' and 'Empire of Ghana' or 'Empire of Wagadugu'.

If you are referring to ancient maps of what is today known as Ghana (a modern nation which gained independence in 1957) you could start by looking for maps of Gold Coast, as it was known under the British colonial rulers. A web search for 'antique map' and 'Gold Coast' should turn up some results. Prior to British colonial rule, there was an empire in much of what is today modern Ghana that was known as the Empire of Ashanti, also sometimes known as Asante (don't confuse this with the modern Ashanti region of northern Ghana). You could try searching for 'antique map' and 'Ashanti' or 'Asante'. Other key words to look for are 'Cape Coast' and Assini'. Remember that there were no well defined borders prior to the modern period, and all of these antique maps were made by visiting European explorers, many of whom had only imperfect or flawed knowledge of the region, so you will have to cross reference these old maps with modern ones to see approximately where modern Ghana begins and ends.

By the way, the oldest surviving European maps of what is today known as Ghana make reference only to 'Guinea' or 'Guinea Coast', which was the term used to refer to the broad swath of West and Central Africa from Senegal and Sierra Leone all the way to Gabon, Congo and even occasionally Angola. Many of these maps include, by the way, the coast of Ghana.

Although all of these old maps leave much to be desired in terms of accuracy (the Niger river is often running in the wrong direction, etc) they are very interesting and entertaining, some with very detailed etchings, drawings and art in the margins.

Here are a couple results that I found ...

http://www.geographicus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc...

http://fedora.library.northwestern.edu/fedora/get/...

• 4 years ago

Ancient Ghana Map

• paul v
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You mean the actual Ghana ? In the 12 th century there was the empire of Ghana, which was somewhere in the west of nowadays Mali. It had nothing to do with nowadays Ghana. Most of Ghana was part of the Ashanti Empire, till it was defeated by the british in 1900. The British name for the territory was Gold Coast. It was called Ghana after the old Ghana empire in Mali

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

map of ancient ghana (africa)?

does anyone have a link to a DETAILED map of ANCIENT ghana? i looked through google images, and i was unseccessful. they only had maps of current day ghana. so yeah, if you have an image of a map of ancient ghana, that would be great.

thanks

Source(s): map ancient ghana africa: https://biturl.im/AsXYT
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.