natalie asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

for co-sleeping parents: does your child move too much at night?

I sleep with my toddler in the bed, and oh my he||!!

he ends up turned around, kicking me in the face, then laying on me half way, and then snoring! AND THEN! (yes there is more).. he cries!

please parents to be: don't let your child ever get in the habit of sleeping with you!

.. does your child(ren) do this too? Ever woke up to find your feet on your pillow? I did once.. but it was probably to get away from my son LOL -- or join him at the foot of the bed.

If you CO-sleep with your children, do they also act this absurd? I can't sleep well with him & usually end up transporting him to his own bed!

If so, what do you do about it? (move the child, end up sleeping on the couch, or transport them as well)??

Best Answer

Three of my four children refuse to sleep in their own beds and the only reason the 4th doesn't is because she's only 5 months old. It is so bad that my husband is stuck on the couch with the 4 and 5 year old and I'm stuck in bed with the 2 year old who is always burrowed into my back and has to play with my hair to fall asleep. If I get up to go to the bathroom or something, he immediately wakes up and starts screaming. He'll lift his leg in the air and slam it down on my face, talk in his sleep, sing in his sleep, and screech and wail his arms. The other two are not as bad, but if they wake up and you're not there, they will either yell for us or search us out. Oh, and I didn't mention that all three of them can't hold it in all night and wet the bed. I have a brand new mattress, but I have to cover the whole thing in plastic and I sweat to death all night from it! Luckily, this is the only issue I have with my kids, but I don't get any sleep because of it. So, don't feel too bad, you're not the only one with this problem.

Source(s): Mom of 4: ages 5, 4, 2, and 5 months.

If co-sleeping is not comfortable for anyone involved, then it should, gently, stop. Co-sleeping isn't about martyr-like sacrifice, it's about enjoying cozy sleeping time together.

My son was a scoocher, when he was an infant & into his first year. He scooched to the top of the bed, but, for the most part, stayed in an up & down position. If he poked me or went sideways, and it made me uncomfortable, I would just move him to a more comfortable position & we'd all go back to sleep. My daughter liked sleeping right up on my shoulder, with my arm tucked under her. Didn't move at all once she was there.

But, if you are not comfortable with co-sleeping, you should change it. You need to do what works best for your family & it doesn't sound like this is doing much for you at all.

There are all kinds of books out there with info on gently moving your child to his own bed. I know that Dr Sears has co-authored some. Look around & find a method that's going to work for you & your family.

LOL! That's the joy of being a parent...right? Being pregnant I currently don't let my children sleep in the bed with us...half the time I don't even let my husband sleep in the bed.....

but my son doesn't move much when he sleeps (which is nice) he is more of a snuggler than anything.. so is my hubby's son...but my daughter Oh my darling daughter.. she will basically push me off the bed, so I go and push my husband down, so he's in the middle...then I'll wake up because I am being pushed off the bed again... so then I go to the other side of the bed so my daughter is yet again in the middle until I am once again pushed off the bed....she is forbidden to ever sleep with us... I am usually the one to move somewhere else...I found that if I move the children they will come back sometime in the middle of the night...so I go sleep on the couch or go sleep on their bed lol..!

BOTH my children sleep with us! It was easier for my first child as I nursed her but then when her brother was born I didn't want to hurt her feelings by making her leave and letting him stay (yes I realize how dumb that sounds!). Now my daughter is 5 and whines and crys if we tell her she needs to sleep in her room (or one of us has to lay with her until she falls asleep and 9 times out of 10 we fall asleep too!). My three year old son doesn't even think that the bed in his room is his! If we tell him to go to bed he goes to our room - and he is the one who moves and kicks - he's rolled around so much that he has fallen off the bed about 3 to 4 times!

my daughter was not sleeping a wink through the night, so she ended up in bed with us. she slept like a 'baby' !! she would not wake up until the next morning. i was also breastfeeding, so she would also feed and then fall asleep on the boob. i was soo tired, so i allowed this to happen. it was fine for us and each to their own. whatever works for you, i think. by the time she was 19 months she would sleep in her cot until midnight and then scream and come into bed with us. she would wake up a few hrs later and think it was play time. sitting up and chatting. by that time i had definately had enough! i was so determined that she slept in her own bed and it only took 2 nights and she is now sleeping thru the night. it's a miracle for us! i appreciate it soooo much :) the co-sleeping was definately the nicest bonding experience i've ever had! it is amazing. but not for 19 months ;)

Oh yeah!

He acts like he owns the bed. I think we need to get a cot soon, but we're still getting over our stolen car and car seat.

He normally turns and grabs his dads beard, then turns and grabs my hair (all this in sleep). One night he was rooting and I found him sucking on my arm. Havent been kicked yet, but he has farted in my face quite a few times.

So we just deal with it and wake up at 6am to watch him sound asleep snoring away whilst we have to get up after not much sleep. I'm just glad we can laugh about it...

Yep. Once I think it was my eldest gave me a black eye. It just happens that day my Husband got home from his work (he works away for months). We went shopping and everyone thought Husband hit me. :)

Don't let your child sleep with you?? That is a tad harsh. I have had at least one child in my bed for the last 7 years.

If you don't like sleeping with him, don't. It isn't rocket science. If one of my 3 boys did that daily, he'd be out!

I stopped co-sleeping when my daughter was 6 months old because she was moving a lot. I had no issue at all moving her to a crib.

Ours slept with us for a long time until I said NO MORE. He kicked and punched and turned all around and upside. We are planning on having another child and he/she will NEVER sleep on our bed with us. I have slept on our sofa and moved into his bed to get a good nights sleep. It's not worth it. I can bond with my kid in other ways.

yes i think every co-sleeping parent must go though this. i usually ended up getting in his bed when i could take no more. sometimes he would follow an hour later and sometimes he wouldn't.