Rock Star vs. Rock Genre?

So where are we in 2008? If you're old enough to remember or have seen enough visual footage, you'll know that in the past (esp. the 60s & 70s), we seemed to have a LOT more individuals who stood out & embodied the 'rock star' image. Sometimes a member of a band would shine as such more than the... show more So where are we in 2008?

If you're old enough to remember or have seen enough visual footage, you'll know that in the past (esp. the 60s & 70s), we seemed to have a LOT more individuals who stood out & embodied the 'rock star' image. Sometimes a member of a band would shine as such more than the others:
David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Axl (though I can't stand him), Marc Bolan, Keith Moon,Robert Plant, Ozzy, Ted Nugent, just to name a few.

These were people who often made the 6 o'clock news when they did something in public (usually something outrageous)

But today, it seems to me that though there are still a few individuals who are seen as rock stars, it's the actual genres that seem to be getting more attention than the people themselves. There's endless talk about who's emo, screamo, metalcore, etc.. & lists of bands are mentioned..but few *individuals*...Rock Stars. People known for standing out & somehow being different.

What happened to the rock star?
Update: Phil- Manson is another good ex. There're many other names we could belt out...
Update 2: RiddLedVisioN- heh- I didn't like Tears for Fears or DM back in the 80s. Thought it was wimpy synth music at the time. lol I appreciate them much more now. Esp. DM.

Billy Inbred does have a point about rap stars. But w/ only a few exceptions, they tend to have a REALLY short shelf-life.
Update 3: Rckets-

Yeah, well we don't want a repeat of rock stars dying needlessly. That's for sure. But I should've emphasized that these figures don't exist because rock isn't giving us anymore big personalities coupled w/ big talent. I have to use Bowie as a prime example.