"Reputable" vs "scam" registries.?

I often see people referring to dog registries, saying the KC (or AKC in United States, IKC in Eire etc. etc.) are the only registrations worth having. However in the UK - KC registration is being used quite extensively by some truly awful backyard breeders and puppy farms. When challenged, people will claim... show more I often see people referring to dog registries, saying the KC (or AKC in United States, IKC in Eire etc. etc.) are the only registrations worth having.

However in the UK - KC registration is being used quite extensively by some truly awful backyard breeders and puppy farms.

When challenged, people will claim (quite rightly) that KC reg is "just a registry, not a guarantee of quality". But then, aren't the other registries (United Kennel Club, Dog Lovers Registration etc) just registries too?

What makes the KC (or AKC, IKC etc) registry worth so much more than the other registries?
Update: Just thought I'd make sure I keep a record of this before a numpty gets it deleted: The AKC is the ONLY real /reputable registry in the US. The current crop of FAKES will "register" MUTTS!!!....your mother-in-laws GOAT...if you pay em! AKC will ONLY register PUREBRED animals! W/pedigrees that... show more Just thought I'd make sure I keep a record of this before a numpty gets it deleted:

The AKC is the ONLY real /reputable registry in the US.

The current crop of FAKES will "register" MUTTS!!!....your mother-in-laws GOAT...if you pay em!
AKC will ONLY register PUREBRED animals! W/pedigrees that go back to ORIGINAL foundation stock of the breeds.