Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Since Jesus was involuntarily murdered, how exactly did he "die for our sins"?

And since his death is the fundamental basis of Christianity, why do Christians have any bad feelings towards Judas/the Romans etc? If Jesus never died, then wouldn't your religion not exist?

Best Answer

He could have gotten off of that cross easily if He wanted to. He is God's Son. He is part of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost). He's part of God.

I think when they say Jesus died for our sins, despite being involuntarily murdered (I'm not entirely sure there is such a thing as "voluntary murder, actually), is because he didn't really fight back. He let them go ahead and kill him for preaching his beliefs. Christians have bad feelings towards Judas because Judas was a traitor. He turned Jesus in for breaking Roman law. They have bad feelings toward the Romans because the Romans were ridiculous in enforcing laws.

If Jesus never died, the religion would still exist. Just because Jesus "never died", doesn't mean that, after his natural death, Paul wouldn't have gone around preaching his thing. And Chrisitianity, honestly, is just a sub-division of Judaism. Jesus was just a radical preacher of the Jewish faith. If he "hadn't died", we'd all just be Jews.

Source(s): My comparitive religion, history and mythology classes.
  • Lea L

Jesus wasn't involuntarily murdered. He sacrificed himself for us. Also, Christians don't have bad feelings for Judas. Judas was the disciple that pointed out to the Romans who Jesus was. What happened, happened, there's nothing we can do to change it. The Romans however, were actually responsible for crucifying Jesus.

Judas sold Jesus for thirty pieces of silver. Jesus did not die on the Cross just for Christians. He died for all people that believe in Him or don't believe in Him.

Matthew 1:21

She will bear a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus [the Greek form of the Hebrew Joshua, which means Savior], for He will save His people from their sins [that is, prevent them from failing and missing the true end and scope of life, which is God].

Isaiah 52:14

[For many the Servant of God became an object of horror; many were astonished at Him.] His face and His whole appearance were marred more than any man's, and His form beyond that of the sons of men--but just as many were astonished at Him,

1 Timothy 2:6

Who gave Himself as a ransom for all [people, a fact that was] attested to at the right and proper time.

If you were aware of the Passion narrative in the Gospel of John, you would know that Jesus was well aware of his impending betrayal and death, had the opportunity to flee Jerusalem, but, having divine understanding of the economy of salvation, chose to remain in the Garden of Gethsamene, where He was arrested, having been betrayed by Judas Iscariot. It was Christ's obedience unto death to the will of the Father, in contrast to the disobedience of Adam, that provided the atonement for the sin of Adam. While His obedience to the point of death (not His death itself)--and an excruciating death at that--that provided the Atonement, those who brought about the death of an innocent person still sinned. Christ's sacrifice was His obedience that led to his death, not the death itself. Those who see the doctrine of penal substitution as some kind of blood sacrifice placating an angry god, similar to the human sacrifices of the Aztec, misunderstand the hermeneutic of narrative closure that Christ's obedience brings to the onset of sin resulting from Adam's disobedience.

Grace be unto you and peace.

Jesus' crucifixion was foretold, and he knew it was going to happen. He accepted this, and therefore was not "involuntarily" murdered. As far as it was explained to me, Judas was forgiven. The Romans tortured Jesus. Although his crucifixion was necessary for the resurrection, they went more than a little above and beyond with the mocking and the torture leading up to it.

I don't have bad feelings for Judas, it is for that reason he is my favorite apostle...Jesus wasn't involuntarily murdered, He knew ahead of time, and prayed to God that if that is the way it must be, let it be done. He could have easily gotten away from prison, but he voluntarily went up onto that cross for us.

May God Bless

It wasn't involuntary. It was planned before the creation of the world. In Genesis it talks about the seed (Jesus) from the woman coming to conquer Satan. Jesus said "I lay my life down, no one takes my life". If Jesus never rose, then my religion wouldn't exist because that proved that He conquered death and sin. He came to die, to be the unblemished sacrificial lamb to pay for our sins once and for all because He loves us so much.

He died for our sins by becoming human. By showing the ultimate sacrifice as representation of God's love. He died in order to save us. Had He not... we could've vanished... just like Sodom... but because of Jesus' death... a shot at goodness developed... I can't imagine our world today without Christianity... Things are created without enough moral grounds... A lot of Christians interpret faith in different ways but in my case... to judge anyone is not under my basic rights as Christian... Jesus only is... Our minds are so limited against God's mind. It is foolish of me to question His ways. I am just a little child to Him. Quabling without knowing what I'm asking about...

• Dave

I don't have bad feelings--they were part of the plan.

Whether or not you think He could have stopped them from killing Him (which I do) He died for our sins by living a sinless life, and suffering the punishment of the worst offender for it. Lots of innocent men have been executed, but He's the only one who never did the slightest thing wrong.

• kiwi

Involuntarily? As He pointed out to a disciple when he was arrested, He could have called on thousands of angels to save him if he wasn't willing to go with those who arrested Him. He chose to not do that, but went with the soldiers who took him.

Doesn't sound involuntarily to me.