Do i need a licence to carry my pistol or not ?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
i have looked through all the info u guys sent me and i came to the conclusion that if ur 21 u can carry a gun in open sight without a licence in west virginia is this correct?
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
well here in indiana you can carry a concealed weapon on you as long as you have the license. In other words you can have it just cant have it in sight and there are places that you cant carry it into such as a court, some stores also say no weapons, so you must respect that. Im not sure about WV but you can call your local police department and they will tell you.

Asker's rating & comment

1 out of 5
ty
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (7)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Stanicus answered 6 years ago
    WV appears to have open carry as long as it is in plain sight. There are a few "rules" they say are grandfathered in, so I would check with your local police dept. before strutting around with a gun on your hip.

Source(s):

www.opencarry.org
    • Comment
  • Alexander B answered 6 years ago
    You can carry a gun in open sight in Virginia without a license. It's perfectly legal but some cops may harass you. Just know all of your laws before you go doing it. I open carry in VA frequently.

Also why dont you get your concealed carry permit also? It's great so when it gets colder you can still wear a jacket over your gun. It also allows you to carry in a vehicle in any way you like. When you dont have a CCP you need to leave the gun in plain sight like on the dashboard.

Source(s):

Frequent carrier.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Bert & Ernie answered 6 years ago
    In NY you have to have it 100% concealed and must have a NYS CCW permit.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Ucee Lead answered 6 years ago
    First of all Check with your local police dept on the gun laws and how to carry... Second Texas is Not a open Carry State we have to have a concealed license in order to carry, only places we can not carry is in liquor stores, churches, schools, court buildings, or where there is a certified BATF sign that 1" block letters and a article # andsection # which is 30.06 if you see a sign like that in Texas Dont carry your gun in....Texas did however change some rules on where you can carry, Schools in the parking lot but do not cross the threshhold of the door with your gun on you..then your in violation of the law..hospitals you can carry in as long as there is no legal sign posted on door.. shopping malls you can carry concealed.... all this is in Texas...... just wanted to clarify also as of sept 1st of 2007 you can carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle but it has a wide margin of gray area on this law its up the the officer if he wants to push the issue of the concealed handgun.......so with that check out the laws with your local police dept to clarify what is legal save yourself the trouble of getting a unlawfully carrying a weapons charge on you...
    Ucee
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • 1SHOT1KILL answered 6 years ago
    If you have open carry in your state then there are a few rules that come with it. Like Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas etc. You can carry open carry. That means completely open no part of it can be concealed at all. Like a western type holster on the thigh. Don't wear a coat that is long enough to cover it even part of it.

Don't ever try to carry one into a bar, a Bank, Court, or more common sense places like the local mall.

The ones of us that carry open are hunters or farmers. We carry in addition to our rifles while we are hunting. 2 reasons I carry. 1 is for protection. I don't want to have to try to swing a rifle around to get to a snake thats crawled up beside me too much movement is not good when it comes to snakes. 2 is after I have dropped my deer I don't want to always have to put another rifle round into him if he's not dead. My pistol would work good for putting them out of their misery. Here in Kansas we can even carry a pistol when engaged in fishing.

If I were you I would only carry when your in the woods it will save you a lot of trouble with the cops even if its legal you don't need the hassle.

Source(s):

1SHOT1KILL
    • Comment
  • John Smith answered 6 years ago
    idk about virginia, but you half to have a license to carry a CONCEALED handgun in texas. i think it is illegal to carry one on a holster in public but im not positive
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • fisher1221us answered 6 years ago
    Wisconsin is one of two remaining states where concealed carry by ordinary citizens is still illegal. Open-carry is legal except where prohibited by law (government buildings, schools, and places that sell liquor), but, in the words of one Wisconsin resident, "you will attract the attention of every police officer in the area."[95] Some jurisdictions have tried to prosecute open-carry by equating the open carry of handguns with Disorderly Conduct. Inside vehicles, the firearm must be both unloaded and encased; having a loaded firearm on the front seat was held to be concealed and therefore illegal in a 1994 case. Bills to enact shall-issue were twice vetoed by Governor Jim Doyle in January 2004 and again in January 2005 after passing in both houses of the Wisconsin legislature. In 2005, the Assembly fell two votes short of overriding Doyle's veto.

Other laws: Possession of a firearm while intoxicated, shooting within 100 yards of a home without permission, pointing a weapon at anyone except in self-defense, and negligent handling of a weapon are all outlawed. Statute 941.20

Carrying a concealed weapon is a class A misdemeanor, state statute 941.23. This is any "weapon", not just firearms. Knives are legally defined as "dangerous weapons".

Going armed in any building owned/leased by the government is a class A misdemeanor, state statute 941.235.

Carrying a handgun where alcohol is sold/consumed is generally a class A misdemeanor, state statute 941.237.

Armor-piercing ammunition prohibited in handguns when committing a crime. Statute 941.296.

"No person may carry or display a facsimile firearm in a manner that could reasonably be expected to alarm, intimidate, threaten or terrify another person", unless on your own property or business, or that of another person with their consent. Statute 941.2965.

Wisconsin has a state pre-emption law that generally forbids cities from passing firearms ordinances more strict than that of state law. Statute 66.0409. This doesn't affect zoning regulations, which is why only one Madison gun shop sold handguns. That shop, along with others as well as the only gun club in Middleton, have closed.

Committing a crime while possessing a dangerous weapon is a penalty enhancer. Statute 939.63.

It is a felony to possess a firearm if you are a:

Felon
    Committed a felony as a juvenile
    Not guilty of a felony by reason of mental disease or defect
    Committed under mental health laws & ordered not to possess a firearm
    Are the subject of a domestic abuse or child abuse restraining order
    Are ordered not to possess firearms as a subject of a harassment restraining order
    Any person who knowingly provides a firearm to an ineligible person is party to a felony crime. Statute 941.29

Buying & Selling: There is a 48-hour waiting period on handgun transfers: Statute 175.35

Rifles and shotguns can be purchased in a contiguous state as long as the purchase complies with Federal law and the laws of the contiguous state. Statute 175.30

State Parks & Wildlife Refuges: Statute 29.089 requires firearms to be unloaded and encased in state parks. There is an exception for hunting when the hunt is administratively approved. Statute 29.091 requires firearms to be encased and unloaded in wildlife refuges.

Class 3 Firearms: Machine guns are legal if you follow BATFE process, state statute 941.27

Short-barrel rifles and shotguns are legal if you follow BATFE process, state statute 941.28

Silencers are legal if you follow BATFE process, statute 941.298

Firearms & Minors: It is a class I felony to possess a firearm on school grounds or within 1000' of a school zone. Statute 948.605. This statute does not apply to:

private property not part of school grounds
    individuals licensed by the local government body to possess the firearm
    unloaded and encased firearms
    individuals with firearms for use in a school-approved program
    individuals with school contract to possess firearm
    law enforcement acting in official capacity
    unloaded firearms when traversing school grounds to gain access to hunting land, if the entry is approved by the school.
    It is a class G felony to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm in a school zone. Limited exceptions for private property not part of school grounds, school programs, and law enforcement.

Leaving a firearm within reach of a child under 14 is generally a misdemeanor, if that child points it at anyone or shows it to anyone in a public place. Defenses include having the gun locked in a safe or container, or having a trigger lock on the gun, or removal of a key operating part, or illegal entry by anyone to obtain the firearm, or a reasonable belief a juvenile couldn't access the firearm. Statute 948.55

Firearms retailers are required to provide every buyer with a written warning stating, "If you leave a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child you may be fined or imprisoned or both if the child improperly discharges, possesses or exhibits the firearm." Statute 175.37

Possession of a dangerous weapon by anyone under 18 is a class A misdemeanor. Giving/loaning/selling a dangerous weapon to someone under 18 is a class I felony. Statute 948.60. Defenses to prosecution under this statute:

Target practice under the supervision of an adult
    Members of armed forces under 18 in the line of duty
    For hunting purposes, the following exceptions to the age limit apply, as specified in statute 29.304 for weapons with barrels 12" or longer.

under 12 may not hunt with a firearm or bow under any circumstances
    under 12 can only possess firearm/bow in Hunter Safety class, or while cased/unloaded and under parental supervision while going to/from Hunter Safety class
    12-13 may hunt when accompanied by an adult
    12-13 may possess firearm when accompanied by an adult, or while transporting cased/unloaded firearm to/from Hunter Safety class, or in Hunter Safety class
    14-15 is the same as 12-13, except Hunter Safety graduates can hunt and possess firearms without adult supervision.
    School students shall be suspended until their expulsion hearing if they possess a firearm in school or during a school event. State law requires a minimum one-year expulsion for this offense. Statute 120.13(1)(bm) and 120.13(1)(c)2m. In addition, the student's driver license may be suspended for two years under Statute 938.34(14q). This suspension also applies to bomb threats and CCW violations in government buildings.

Firearms in vehicles: In this section, unloaded = "Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine attached to a firearm." Encased = "enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed." Statute 167.31

Boats: Firearms must be unloaded and encased when the motor is running.

Aircraft: Firearms must be unloaded and encased.

Cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV, snowmobiles: Firearms cannot be placed in or on a vehicle unless the firearms are unloaded and encased. However, it is legal to "lean an unloaded firearm against a vehicle". Statute 167.31(4)(d).

Exceptions: Law enforcement officers, military personnel on active duty, landowners & their family and employees on farm tractors inside CWD eradication zones, and disabled hunters with special permits meeting all the requirements.

Source(s):

• Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block