Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

How to eat spaghetti properly LOL???

Going to see my girlfriend's family for the first time and a little bird told me we're going to be having the dreaded spaghetti lol.

How do I eat it 100% great with knife and fork?

and 100% great with spoon and fork.

they won't say just fork would that? that's evil.

I'm an absolute idiot so you'll have to be mega clear in your answers please lol. I am God awful at first impressions so I hope this goes well!

Favorite Answer

My grandfather was a chef in Italy. It's very important to Italians that someone eats their pasta in the correct way; it's a cultural custom. Food is very important to them. Having said that, the steps are as follows:

1) Hold the spoon and fork so that you're holding them at a slight angle toward each other on the plate like so: 0 IIII

2) Pick up a small amount of pasta with the fork, and place the tips of the fork onto the spoon

3) Twirl the pasta so it's wrapped neatly around the fork (a bit of the end hanging off is fine, it doesn't have to be perfect)

4) Enjoy

You might try practicing by having some pasta at home first so you're not going for it for the first time in front of everyone. Meeting your girlfriend's family will be stressful enough initially, you don't want to have to worry about how you eat. No worries though, you'll be fine. It's easy...

Source(s): Born and raised on spaghetti.
    • Giuly
      3 years agoReport

Although some Italians do it, I have never used a spoon to eat them...I just use a fork, then twirl pasta...is very easy to eat spaghetti just with a fork...

I usually make ONE cut across the middle of my spaghetti... then I plot my fork in a spot and twist it, trying to get a perfectly shaped bite without any straggly pieces of spaghetti. If I DO have those stragglers, I start fresh, sometimes I make a second or third cut.

I wouldn't use a spoon...I'm not sure who actually does, people in Italy certainly don't and I never have either. A fork is more than sufficient!

Knife and fork: Cut the spaghetti up into to very small, small bits, then scoop it up with your fork.

Spoon and fork: A bit more tricky...you have to roll the spaghetti onto the fork and then hold the spoon over the end so that it will not slip off until you get it to your mouth.

Good luck and enjoy!

Haha, my grandma explained this to me a long time ago. You need a spoon and a fork. What you do is put some spaghetti in your fork and twirl it, but cup the spaghetti in the spoon so it doesn't hang off of your fork, then once everything is neatly wrapped around the fork, eat it.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How to eat spaghetti properly LOL???

and 100% great with spoon and fork.

I'm...

Source(s): eat spaghetti properly lol: https://biturl.im/I4c6x

True Italians eat it with a fork and twirl it while holding it against a spoon. Don't cut it whatever you do! This is bad manners no matter what ethnicity they are. Good luck.

Source(s): Catholic Italian family
    • Giuly
      3 years agoReport

I'm from Italy and I've never used a spoon to eat spaghetti.

Some people might disagree, but I like to cut it with a knife and fork before eating it. Some people go for the method of twirling it on a spoon, but that's not for me.

The way to eat any type of hair type of pasta is to use the fork to stab at the pasta(bad wording) and use the fork to spin the pasta around the prongs. The spoon can be used to help keep the pasta on the fork while using that twisting motion.

It is perfectly acceptable to twist it around your fork using a spoon...or just twist it on your plate, either/or...that's a pretty dumb dish to serve for your first visit (awkward; I wonder if they did that on purpose?) and cheap too...

If I were you, I would use the knife to cut up the noodles in sections, and thus making it easier to grasp with either the spoon or fork. Swirling can get messy with the longer noodles, so I would advice against that. Also, if there is bread, you could use that to "help" the noodles on to the fork or spoon.