Andrea asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

What is with Saran Wrap?

So i've been dieting and exceriszing for like 6 months now, i say dieting i mean changed my lifestyle completely and have lost 30 pounds. So i'm always interested in a new way to tone my body better or better myself, but Saran Wrap? I'm hearing wrap yourself in seran wrap and go about your excersizing, then cut it off, wipe your sweat off and your good to go, supposibly having burned more calories due to this food covering agent saran wrap. I'm not sure about it, anyone ever done this or heard about it, or thinks its crazy?

• Mike
    Best Answer

Yeah.....it's been around for years. It does absolutley nothing for fat lose, but it DOES draw out water weight. Bodybuilders use this the night before a contest, especially around the waist, to wring out every ounce of water possible for that stirated, vascular look.

So yes...it'll help reduce water weight, but doesn't do a thing for loosing fat.

• Stacey

Without aluminum outer wrapping, it would melt to the food. Aluminum outer shell acts as a buffer from the direct heat, and holds moister in which acts as a melt retardant. As far as poison leaching into the food being cooked, well it would be such a small amount that it would not make a difference. You would get more plastic toxic leaching in a gallon of milk then you would in a dozen slabs of ribs wrapped in plastic than aluminum foil and baked. I have made full slabs of ribs using the plastic wrap than aluminum foil method many times over the years, and I have yet to have one come out with any taste of plastic, in fact, they are better tasting and more tender then the ribs I have cooked without the plastic wrap. Warnings are on the box for a reason, to prevent the inexperienced from making bad mistakes and ruining their food. Baking fish in the plastic/aluminum wrap method, well first off, you'll be baking at temps that would not cause any melting of the plastic, and the length of time baking is surely not long enough either to melt the plastic. Remember, the moisture will prevent the plastic from melting. Maybe a compromise: use parchment paper. Fold a large enough piece in half, place the fish on one half with seasonings and a lemon slice, fold edges over, wrap in foil, place it on a cookie sheet, and bake as you always do. You find no threat of leaching, but really good tasting moist fish. Have fun! Merry Christmas!

Saran wrap and products like it are said to help lose in weight loss. Wrestlers and body builders do it before meets and competitions. It increases the amount of persperation you produce. The weight you loose is water weight and will reappear after drinking something. Therefore, it is not genuine weight loss, merely a quick fix until your next glass of water.

I tried this before for several months and it just made me really dehydrated.

Source(s): Personal experience

Sadly i've tried this and it is a total lie. I only tried it twice.

It gives you a terrible rash, so dont try it.

its just making you sweat.

You'll lose a LITTLE bit of weight but it's just water weight. you are likely to get dehydrated.