Why is Obama afraid to release his passport records?

Whats the big deal? He wants to be president of the US, we should be able to see where he has been. Why was his campaign so scared someone had access to them and might release them? I didn't see Hilary or McCain's campaigns making a big deal about someoen looking at their passport records. What does he have to hide?

Update:

The records don't even show where he has traveled! Why is he asking congress to investigate, and waste more of our tax dollars on a non issue?

What exactly is a passport record? A passport record typically consists of applications made by a person for a U.S. passport, together with supporting evidence of U.S. citizenship. The records include details such as date and place of birth, naturalization details, family status, occupation and physical characteristics. Passport records do not include evidence of travel, such as exit and entrance stamps, visas or residence permits

Update 2:

And apprently, these records aren't so private, lots of people can use the information for various reasons:

How is all this information used? Apart from helping to determine citizenship and eligibility for a passport, the information can be used for employment applications and estate settlements, and to determine Social Security benefits. It can also be used for federal and state law enforcement investigations. Records are retrieved using an individual's name or passport number.

Who uses the system? The information in the passport records system is used not only by the State Department, but also by the Internal Revenue Service; foreign governments (for immigration purposes); federal, state and local authorities; attorneys representing a client in a passport case; and in some cases, members of Congress. In addition, an individual's immediate family members can also ask for the information under the Privacy Act and the Freedom of Information Act.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • roxy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

One word - CONFIDENTIAL

Happy Girl - I agree with you it HAS gotten boring. yawn

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nobody is questioning Obama's travel records. It was a invasion of his privacy when a couple of idiots accessed his passport files ILLEGALLY! THREE TIMES! The only reason that people think there is something he's hiding is because of the color of his skin! He's a Senator! Do you really think a Senator can hide where he's been? Would you feel OK with a total stranger accessing your personal ,private records? Why don't you give everyone your SS number? Got something to hide?

Source(s): OBAMA BY A LANDSLIDE!
  • 1 decade ago

Why are Hillary's Obama-bashers so poorly informed about everything?

"The passport records at issue here are protected by the Privacy Act of 1974. That Act generally prohibits non-consensual disclosures of personal information about U.S. citizens from a Privacy Act system of records"

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2008/mar/102503.h...

http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general/34593prs20080...

For your edification, here's what Obama actually said - rightfully representing the rights of ALL AMERICANS, because it is a violation of the 1974 Privacy Act and a FELONY to access and use a citizen's information from their private passport records.

"One of the things that the American people count on in their interactions with any level of government is that if they have to disclose personal information that is going to stay personal and stay private. When you have not just one but a series of attempts to tap into peoples’ personal records, that’s a problem not just for me but for how our government functions,"

Obama

The issue of transparency and disclosure you may be referring to is the fact that presidential candidates are required by election law to reveal their tax returns, earmarks list, and donors lists, and former presidents/first ladies are required after leaving office to disclose their daily meeting/event and phone call records, emails and correspondence during the time they served the American people. Despite many requests, Hillary Clinton has refused to release hers, while Obama released his immediately. It was only after a Judicial Watch lawsuit and a US District Judge's decree that Hillary finally released her "heavily edited" daily meeting records.

You are 100% incorrect in what you insinuate above.

I am a "typical white woman" and I approve this message.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Those records have everything in them needed for identity theft. This information isn't necessary for us to choose a president. As far as an expectation of privacy goes, there's a difference between having the press follow you around all day and having someone steal your identity. Running for president shouldn't open you up for that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good gosh, do you want his medical records? His elementary school report cards? Never have passport records been something required to be provided. He has nothing to hide. This was an assault on his right to privacy. He has every right to be ticked. I certainly would be. I don't care where he has been, I care about where he is going with our country. He is not afraid, just exercising his right to privacy. Sheesh, you Obama haters are B_O_R_I_N_G.

Dear truthfairy... YOU ARE AWESOME......

• Bud W
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

you forgot SSN on your list maybe thats it. tell ya what why dont you post your social security number on YA!. Republicans cant even protect confidential information dont trust them to protect you life. bush has brought us closer to being nuked than any other person.

mccain supported the dubai port deal. some security expert.

so if hillary and mccain are not upset it means one of them are behind it. besides you are spouting BS "typical republican" hillary said she was upset and will monitor the situation closely. mccain however went to the middle east to recruit terrorists to attack america so he can continue with his war cause. cheney was also in the middle east more proof the republican have something dirty up thier sleeves.

• 1 decade ago

Why is Hillary so afriad to release her tax returns

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He isn't afraid. Remember, hRepublicans have already been fined and fired for their perversion of Justice on this issue and Obama is still clean. Maybe you people need to find some new material.

• 1 decade ago

Mill...He is a Presidential candidate. He has NO PRIVACY because of it. It was HIS choice to run, PERIOD.

I agree with you, that it is curious that he refuses to give out the information. He should not get special investigations based on this...what an abuse of power.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The man has the right of privacy, just as you do. Your question is immature.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.