Atheolutionist: If your "theories" are true, why do they bend and sway with the changing winds of "evidence"?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

But I can't see wind. We're not sure it exists. So how can "wind" make evidence sway?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Science and the scientific method are based on doubt and the possibility that evidence shows that our theory was wrong.

But science is also based on the power of "repetition": you can repeat a process and it should always show the same results if all the conditions are equal. If not, the whole theory needs a review.

And science is also based on facts and predictions: based on some laws and observations, scientists can predict that a process or a fact will be found/discovered. And if it happens, that's evidence that the laws, observations, etc were correct in the first place.

What you see as confusing and disturbing, I see as beautiful and reassuring.

What you are looking for is the last answer, and you are OK with finding that in a book written by many different authors in more different times. A book that tells me nothing about the world.

What I'm looking for is the mystery and adventure of discovery...like Sherlock Holmes, we are revealing the mystery. Sometimes the evidence leads us wrong, sometimes right. But at the end, there is only one possible explanation.

Source(s): "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's because the theories are not "true". They are an approximation of the truth for the time being.

To give an example, how far is it from Bloggsville to Dogsville by road?

Someone might guess 250 kilometres on the evidence that it took about two and a half hours to drive the distance one day. So the theory is that its 250 km.

The someone drives the distance and notes the odometer reading on the car. 244 kilometres. That's probably a better approximation. Evidence - odometer reading.

Later a surveyor measures 242.43 km. Evidence - careful distance measurement.

Some ancient document that claims it's 30 km is obviously wrong. Anyone who claims the document is correct in spite of the odometer reading and the surveyor's measurement is just lying.

And there I'll leave it. Anyone can understand that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Bend and sway"? lol, that's a different way of looking at it. Evidence is not a wind, it is a continually growing library detailing this marvelously complex universe as we learn more and yet more. And rest assured: the more we learn, the further humankind gets from creationism. No, humans and dinosaurs did not cohabit the earth. Yes, the earth is more than six thousand years old by several orders of magnitude. And the reason for you being here is Scriptural, as follows...

"There is but one purpose for a man, and that is to eat, and to drink, and to be merry." ...Ecclesiastes 8:15

Youse can't handle it, can youse?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Laura
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

An atheist is not someone who refuses to accept Jesus, but a person who does not believe in a god. There are many reasons for being atheist. Each person has differing opinions on the universe and that is okay. All people are accountable for their actions, and most accept that. Whoever told you this is ignorant and not to be listened to. It is merely propoganda. There is also confusion in the Christian world over who is atheist. There is a difference between atheists and agnostics. As I said before, and atheist does not believe in a god or higher power. An agnostic believes in a hgiher power but does not define it. I used to be Christian, but I'm not anymore. I do not believe in religion. Many terrible things have been done in the name of god because of religious differences, even minor ones. Organized religions are now merely a business with tax immunity.

• Torgo
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

…because scientific theories change as our understanding grows. Scientists may, for example, develop a new piece of technology that allows them to see distant stars and planets more clearly, or that allows them to more accurately determine the age of fossils. The additional information gathered through novel technology allows them to expand, refine, or discard theories as the evidence demands.

Why do you see the scientists' willingness to accept new evidence as a weakness?

• 1 decade ago

Because like the grass, they bend & sway, as new objective knowledge is uncovered, because as science improves, history changes!

Unlike rigid Creationism, which has already been broken, because of its lack of flexibility, and now lies dead in the water!

Source(s): ...Grasshopper.
  • 1 decade ago

Well,I'm a Christian but welcome back,Church Lady...You're just in time for the Report Monkey revolution...Hey,what the heck,you might as well shag a few bulletts,too...lol

It's kinda cool in a way...diswades a little of the heat from we Fundie Christians....wait...no...we're the ones being blammed for all this childish junk...anyhow,sorry for being a negative Nelly...Welcome back to the battleground.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When you learn new facts, you change your opinion. Unfortunately, new facts and discoveries are like water off a ducks back to Christians.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Evidence can change theories. I'll take that over written in stone ancient bible babble any day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.