What do you make of mushrooms growing out of the tile in my bathroom?

We are renters and have noticed mushrooms growing in our bathroom. They are white and grow out of the tile behind the toilet. These shrooms are resilient, we had the bathroom cleaned and they re-appeared 10 days later. Is this dangerous? What should we do?

Favorite Answer

sounds like you rented the place we moved out of! wee had a mushrooms growing in the bathroom also. I sprayed tilex mold & mildew remover in the cracked tile every day. You could also spray a bleach soultion in the cracked tile. The mushrooms didn't come back when I sprayed. The landlord did nothing except tell us stories about the mushrooms growing in thier basement...

I would think the only danger would be if you have kids or pets & they decide to nibble on the funky bathroom mushrooms...

Clean the area every day with a bleach based cleaner to prevent the mushrooms from returning. Inform the landlord, perhaps your will be more pro-active than mine was. The only thing you can do as a renter is supress the fruiting bodies (mushrooms) by scrubbing them off & spraying bleach at them. The mushrooms will contiue to return as long as there is a mycilia network and moisture in the tile backing... Mycilia are the "roots" of the fungus. and are very hard to kill. They will need to be physically removed by ripping out the wall & replacing the tile & backing

• Randy

You have a moisture problem for sure. I was a renter many years ago and had shrooms growing in the rafters of my basement, under the bathroom. It's for sure a moisture problem and probably not all that healthy. If you have mushrooms then it's damp, dark and most likely moldy behind there and would be a health hazard for sure.

I'd say that someone has to remove the toilet, repair what ever is causing the dampness and replace the drywall and paint to resolve the problem. Any chemical treatments, TSP or some such, will only delay the issue. The problem will remain.

• scasso

Indoor Mushroom Growing

Researched this because there were some growing in our bathroom too. It looks like the wood on our baseboards is mildewed but no one fixed it because no one probably thought of looking under the cabinets before assigning me and my roommates here. We didn't notice anything either until the fruiting bodies (mushroom) started growing out from under the cabinet. They are white/cream with smooth conical caps and grew in a bunch. The more mature ones become wide and flat, probably to drop more spores. I'm no mushroom expert, but it looks like Leucocoprinus cepistipes, a common white mushroom that is nonedible, but also not proven to be poisonous. (just don't eat it to be sure). I'll probably take it to the lab tomorrow to see if I can't look at some spore samples.

• Mary G

You had the bathroom cleaned and they reappeared 10 days later....

Honey you need to clean more often than that.....

You need to be cleaning the toilet, and around the toilet, with a cleaner that has bleach in... and you need to be doing it often.

Folks on here are probably right, there very well may be a leak and that is what is causing the mold to grow.... no matter what though, you've got to be cleaning this up until it's fixed.

And even after that, clean more often..... bathrooms are full of germs even when you don't have mold.

Ehm..

Mushroom growing is very easy if you know exactly what you're doing, and it's not difficult to learn the different steps involved in the process. You should by a good book with a step by step approach. This is one I recommend http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=573

Cheers ;)

• Witchy

Mushrooms grow in moisture-rich mediums and feed off decaying wood products. This is why they are common outside in shady, wet areas with decomposing wood (humus, mulch, dead trees and their decaying roots, etc.).

Please call your landlord immediately. He/she needs to know that there may be structural damage or a serious mold issue on their property. Mold can be hazardous to your health. If mold is found in your home, you may want to contact your insurance company to see if it's included in your renters insurance to have a place to stay while the problem is being corrected.

wow, that's really weird. Call the landlord and buy a very large container of bleach. Just put a bleach soaked rag back there every day until you have the problem taken care of.

Sounds like Invasion of the body snatchers, but more likely you have a leak and mold is growing under the floor and or behind the wall. This is not good. have it taken care of.

• DORY

You have a mold problem for sure!

Check for cracked tiles and grout!