I have a daughter who I pay child support for. The mother has not worked in years?

The mother also has 3 other kids by another guy. She doesnt work because she gets assistance from the state. How do you calculate her child support obligations if she does not work. I live in the state of wisconsin

Update:

I also have my daugher 1/2 of the time or 182 days out of the year. She gets state assistance because she does not work. Is there a percentage I pay?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In Wisconsin they use a fixed percentage model. Meaning they don't care what the custodial parent makes, only what the paying parent makes. The non-custodial parent is required to pay 17% of their net income towards child support, for one child, period. There are deviations if the paying parent has other children that live with them or that they pay support for. But if the paying parent has no other children it's the 17% in Wisconsin. Here are a few good links specifically for Wisconsin.

http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?Sta...

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/bcs/

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dwd/publications/dws/ch...

Now if your question is, if you got custody and she were required to pay support how would they figure it since she has no job? Well they would make her pay either the state min. or figure her income at min. wage with a 40 hour work week, regardless of the fact that she is unemployed.

• 5 years ago

If he isnt being untruthful, he obviously does owe arrears. If he didnt pay every month/year in the past and has accumulated penalties for not paying, these remain until he clears the entire debt. There are many women out there whos children have left home and have their own families, but mum still recieves the child support for all the time he did not pay when the kids were under 18 years old. She has the power to wipe his debts that he owes, however if she was on a benefit at anytime during those arrears accruing - he is liable to pay the amount for that period regardless. The CS system is horribly flawed, and has not changed to accomodate any family changes throughout the years. However, this is something she is legally entitled to, therefore she can collect it until it has all been repaid - and what she does with that money - is up to her.

• 1 decade ago

First off raising a child is both parents financial responsibility. Support is not calculated on what he makes, its on what both parents could potentially provide for their child with both of their incomes. There are many women who pay support.

When the child is with you, you incur the expense. The parent who has the child the most, incurs the greatest expense.

However, if both parents have the child roughly the same amount of time, then there is no support to be paid unless one of the parents do not work.

Some women do what yours is doing. She can actually make no money, and get lots of help. All the money she gets is tax free and cannot be considered income. For that reason she has no income.

For that reason you will always have to pay support because she chooses to milk our wonderful system and not work.

My advice: Get the court (where she lives or where the case exists) to order that your child support be calculated by the state guidelines. She will have to file a financial affidavit as you will. The state will then calculate your support based on those guidelines.

Get an attorney in that state and have them calculate the support to compare what Child Support calculates it at (I have found them to be very lenient on the female side of things).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Go to family court. They will do the calculation for you. They base it on income and how often the children are with you /her. If it is 50% of the time with you and 50% of the time with her you may not have to pay child support. But each State is different so make an appointment as soon as possible. Best of luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Child support is a federal mandate, administered by the state, and overseen by the county... Long story short (too late?) The federal CS law says that however much time you spend with the child determines your child support amount. if you have her on weekends, every other holiday, and 2 weeks in summer, it is considered joint custody, and there should be no CS or very little at worse. if she has the child more than you do, you will pay. Even if she's not working, if you have the child, she will be obligated to pay. her lack of employment doesn't change her obligation to her child (That's a direct quote for the CS handbook.)

You may not get to collect, unless she files for EIC (tax credit) which they will garnishee. they will also suspend her driver license, and seize her bank accounts to satisfy the debt. she can even go to jail for willfully neglecting the needs of the child by not paying.

• 1 decade ago

The calculations are according to what you make and the judge sets the amount they also take in consideration the state assistance , so don't worry if you think you are paying to much ask for a hearing .

• 1 decade ago

Well some states will use the mother's income to base child support. Since she does not work, and on "the dole" they will base it on her welfare payments, But since you pay child support for your child, she may not be collecting welfare for your child but just for the other kids, and their father pays the state the child support and not her.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It doesn't matter if she has a job or not. You are still required to pay child support and it is usually 15% of your pay. It has nothing to do with if she has other kids, who she is married too or if she works or not.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well you can't ,sorry if the child is living with his/her mother then she does not pay anything .Why? because she provide food ,clothes,roof over their heads, so forth but u are far away so u need to keep doing what your r doing .pay that child support your child needs it don't worry about if she does not have a job ,or how many kids she have, all u need to think about is your child .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its going to be based on your income; doesnt matter what she does or does not do. the courts dont care. at least in the state of mississippi thats how it stacks up. my husbands ex doesnt work, never has, never will... all they look at is his income.

Source(s): Me: Wife, Mother, Ex Wife and Step Mother
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.