Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

Can stars be used by a stalker to track down questions to delete?

I've noticed, as another poster has, that it seems my stars are being used to track down other questions for deletion. I don't understand how this works, but someone new I added is getting only the questions I star removed. Weird. Needless to say, I won't be starring questions for a while. Sorry.

(((Bobby))) (((Uncle)))

Yes, Bobby. All we are saying, is "Give Peace a Chance".

Sunny, just two complaints can get your question deleted, and it's automatic. Questions are being deleted right and left in Religion and Spirituality. As far as I can tell, there is no way to stop it.

Ramjet and others: My Q&A's are not open to the public. Guess I'll have to get rid of fans like everyone else has done or maybe just block new ones. This really stinks.

Favorite Answer

Yeah...I think both"Dig" and U.Wayne are correct....

I star every question that I answer...Should I star this question,((((Friend Z))))?....I'm so confused...

I don't block,I don't report,I don't thumbs down,I rarely ask questions(they'll just get deleted)....and now I can't star questions...great...just great...lol...actually it's not funny....

I'm sure that I am not a favorite in some circles of R/S,due to my beliefs...but I wish that everyone would follow my cue,concerning behavior on R/S....The problems that we are experiencing corporately on this particular subject,would vanish.....Humbly bows,as he pats himself on the back...lol

Unbelievable that someone would stoop so low. And the benefit to them of removing those starred questions? Okay, obviously that would be a drawback to having your questions and answers public. The plus side of having them public is that anyone can read the answers, and someone might really benefit from the information.

The person deleting these questions is probably watching to see what you star. That person could report the question, but wouldn't YA make it so the only person who can delete the question is the person who posted it? Otherwise, everyone whose questions are public is open to that happening. Doesn't seem fair. Is there someone who's supposed to monitor the activity on here and make sure stuff like that isn't happening? The only other person who might be able to delete questions is a moderator who finds the question offensive. That said, one topic that seems okay to some people (say religious or political in nature) might be seen as offensive by others but is not worthy of being deleted. So where do you draw the line on offensive?

So how do you find out who's doing this? Why would someone be stalking you? What can the rest of us (and you in the future) do to prevent something like this from happening?

Well this is a new one on me. Someone who recently switched to the wiki.answers.com site mentioned they thought a staulker tracked them through stars but I didn't pay close attention.

So, like many are doing, maybe now is the time to switch to wiki.answers.com. At least there questions and answers don't just get deleted on the whims of trolls and staulkers. And WOW, there are really some questions and answers with substance there too....unlike Yahoo.

When you star a question, only fans can see it. Of course, they also can if you have your profile open. My guess is that the only instance in which this could happen is in a "good user gone bad" type of scenario.

£

• Ramjet

I agree with Unc... they can follow your account if it's open to the public.

I have been careful with starring lately too. My account is closed, and I am prepared to lock it down if I get another violation.

Also - I am now suspicious about adding peeps to my account so as to cause attention to be brought to them. One of my 360 friends added me and I added them on YA, and the next thing I knew, their account was suspended. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but it sure looked odd to me.

Be very careful adding fans and contacts, sometimes they are the ones causing all the trouble, in other words wolves in sheep clothing.They sometimes have 8 or 9 accounts and can be stalking you in all those accounts, but you are only aware of one account.

• Are you saying that someone else can delete your questions? How would they do that? It just seems impossible to me, and something that I doubt YA would approve of. Are you sure this is what happened?

What drives a person to be so insecure? They can't just delete your question -- can they? Wouldn't it really have to be reported, then go through the YA process to verify -- isn't that what they do?

It's nuts if people can delete your work.

only if for example I star you, and the the Report Monkey clicks on my name and I have my account open to the public. --If you are afraid of that simply edit your profile in such a way that only your contacts can access your questions and answers.

to double check your status, just click on "how my profile looks to the public" (public view of your profile).

Yup

listen to uncle he knows