Nikki asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

When I do water changes in my aquarium should I use bottled or tap water with a dechlorinator?

And should the water still sit out for 24 hours if I use a dechlorinator?

Best Answer

Just use tap water with a dechlorinator that neutralises both chlorine & chloramine. It would be good to let it sit for about 10-15 mins before using it. When using tap water, it would also be good to vigorously agitate the water to ensure more chlorine release eg. use a hose to spray the water hard into the bucket.

Letting water age overnight or for a few days only allows the chlorine to escape but does nothing for chloramine, but certain species of fish would much prefer aged water.

There's no need to use bottled water, it's an unnecessary expense. Also never use distilled or boiled water that has no dissolved oxygen & necessary minerals. It would be a good idea to test your tap water straight from the tap for its water parameters like nitrates, pH, carbonate & general hardness; this allows you to know if your tap water is compatible with your fish species or needs to be slightly corrected in some way. But note there is no real need to follow textbook pH values unless the difference is extremely great: stable pH is far better for any fish.

The myth of leaving your water out when using a dechlorinator comes from the olden days before we had the great products we have now.

Once you put the water conditioner in, the effect is instant.

And tap water is fine, with conditioner.

who can afford to use bottle water everytime they do a water change? Tap water is fine. no you dont need to let the water sit out for 24 hours. if u got so much money let me have some

The water should come from "most" taps , as long as it is not over polluted . You add a small range of "cleaner" chemicals to suit your local water - See your local fish pet shop for the range you require to suit your local area . They usually will test water on a regular basis to make sure it is suitable