How do I get started in web-design or find trainee positions. Where are these advertised/any other hints?

Hi

I am currently employed in a basic admin position which I only took after finishing my degree in order to get some money in, and then ended up staying in due to having a child. I am now feeling very fed-up and have always wanted to work in IT, preferably web design. I have done some courses in HTML and javascript and found it straightforward, but do not feel confident enough in it to to apply for normal web design positions, and obviously don't have the experience required. I'm willing to drop my wage to go for some kind of trainee position, or work alongside someone with more experience to help me learn the basics in real-life situations.

Can anyone please direct me to any helpful websites or give me any other insight? Are these jobs advertised in normal papers or only in particular places? Is it ever possible to do this part-time, or would I have to go full-time? Are there any government etc. schemes to help people change careers into IT?

Many thanks for your time!

Best Answer

I would suggest that you keep your day job for the time being, since it pays the bills. It sounds like you've had some experience in web design, but not enough to jump in feet-first to a full time position. You say you know HTML and Javascript. Knowing Adobe Photoshop and Flash would also be helpful.

Before you can sell yourself as a web designer, you'll need a portfolio showcasing your work and experience. (Purchase a domain name, and create your own site to showcase your work.) The easiest way to get experience is to volunteer your services (to build a basic simple site) to a non-profit organization... a Church, a Little League Team, Soccer Team, Pre-school, etc. Designing small sites will give you a feel for the time it takes to develop a site from start to finish... so keep track. (This information will later help you determine your fee schedule.) Good websites need maintenance, so you could charge a small fee for periodic upgrades. If these folks are happy with your work, you'll be amazed at how fast word will spread, and you start getting request to do other sites for $$. REMEMBER to include your name (or company name) e-mail, and/or URL at the bottom of the Index page. So, create a portfolio, get yourself some business cards, and start handing them out.

This is how I started out! I hope it helps. Good luck!

Source(s): Graphic Artist/Web Designer... 40 years computer experience
  • ?

I agree with the other answers and I'll add more. In order of importance: 1. HTML (basic to intermediate) 2. CSS (basic to advance) 3. JavaScript (basic to intermediate) -- Track A -- 4a. PHP 5a. MySQL -- Track B -- 4b. Java 5b. Java Servlets 6b. Oracle -- Track C -- 4c. ASP.NET 5c. C# (or maybe VB.NET) 6c. SQL Server Now, after you're comfortable with 1 through 3, the next step depends on what area of web design to desire to pursue. Track A, imo, is appropriate for the independent web developer building for small to medium sized businesses. That is not to say that PHP cannot be used for large business. However, in the "IT industry," .NET and Java are the two big players. And, therefore, either Track B or Track C should be a pursuit if you desire to work in an IT department at a medium to large business/corporation or a small company that develops software or supports IT for a larger company. Finally, should you find yourself in a development team, I would study the Software Development Life Cycle (an example: Requirements, Design, Development, Test... rinse and repeat... Production... interspersed with Coffee Pot 101 and Pulling Hair 210). Okay, a little humor there but the primitive example illustrates what I mean by SDLC. There are many approaches to SDLC but they all have same basic parts as mentioned -- learn the basics of these! That's my brief academic advisement for a career as a Software Developer in IT. I wish you well!

You can do some small projects online http://www.LiveLancer.com

It's a good practice and little money on the side.