Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Do 2 cat's need 2 litter boxes?

my moms boyfriend brings his cat here regularly. And we don't really see it use My cat's litterbox. I am wondering if my cat is scaring my moms boyfriends cat.. Because she is hissing and won't let his cat go near her. Do we need 2 litterboxes for 2 cats??

Favorite Answer

If you have room for another litterbox, then why not?

The general "rule of thumb" is......1 litterbox PER CAT + one extra.

That way, both can "go" at the same time, and never be afraid of being "chased" out.

They shouldn't be put in the same room, either!

Hope this answers your question adequately....

Good luck..........

Source(s): 50+ yrs cats / "issues"
  • J C

Cats are very clean animals - and while many cats will share litterboxes, and use one that's already got "deposits" in it, a great number won't. It's always safest to have at least one box per cat. Think about it - would *you* want to use a dirty restroom? Many litter box issues are simply the result of either a box that isn't cleaned often enough, or not enough litter boxes for the number of cats.

Source(s): Many years of cat rescue

I would do two for a period of time until your mom's b/f kitty is accepted into the family. I would have him leave his kitty with you for a few days and slowly increase the amount of time the two of them spend together.

If you don't get them to the point where they accept each other, the litter box is just the tip of the iceberg of problems. It's really really stressful on them to pull them back and forth like that without them getting to know each other.

You can tell if they like each other if they share and use the same sleeping spots. Once you get to that point you are golden.

It would be a good idea. This way the cats still have their own territory without feeling like the other is invading it. I would do this till they at least learn to like each other.

i would say no because when your cats not around the otherone prob just gos then but u think ur cat may be a bit jealous of your moms boyfriends cat

You should get another litter box due to the fact that cats are very clean and ofter territoral.

Maybe, if your cats are spoiled but most cats just use the same litter box because they are neat and aren't like dogs. (no offense to dog lovers)

according to most research, you should have one litterbox per cat plus one, in other words, if you have two cats, you should have three litterboxes....

I have 2 cats,and they like there own box? Good luck!

I think they will get used to each it!I have 3 cats who share one!