ryman
ryman asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

How are the Pirates still in Pittsburgh?

I live in Pittsburgh, and I don't understand how this team is still here. Other teams, in other sports get ran out of cities due to horrible play. Then we give them a stadium, and that would help turn the organization around, but it didn't. I don't understand how this team is still here. I went to several games last year, and I couldn't believe how poor the attendance was. I just don't understand how relocation has never really been talked about?

I really want the team to do well, but not at the expense of embarrassing the organization more than they already have.

And I still don't understand how the organization doesn't have money when they had to pay for a portion of the stadium.

Favorite Answer

Since the Pirates receive revenue sharing money, they make a great deal of money. If they keep the teams' salaries down and don't spend a lot on other things (scouting, player development, etc.), they make a sizeable profit. The Bucs will spend approximately $50-55 Million on salaries this year, but make probably double that on attendance, revenue sharing, advertising , etc. Why move when you have a beautiful ball park and make that kind of money?

• ULAM

I agree with the bulk of the answers you're getting. History is the prime reason why the Pirates haven't been moved. For such an old franchise to move, only the owner can force any kind of action.

The secondary reason for their good fortune is that the absurd financial state of the game has just about killed all interest from other cities. I'm sure a lot of cities would love to have an MLB team, but who can afford to build a new stadium and fill it with $10 - $20 million dollar players ?

Even if you count Las Vegas as a possibility, there are still two teams - Tampa Bay and Florida - who would likely be moved ahead of the Pirates.

History has something to do with it since It has been an old francise. The poor attendance is because the Pirates don't put anything worthwhile on the field. The owner won't spend the money to get better players. Even with a new ballpark you have to have an incentive for the fans to come out and spend money.

Teams don't have to leave town if attendance isn't good, but that is always an option. And plus maybe a city that doesn't currently without a baseball team, maybe haven't expressed intrest of the Pirates coming to thier town. Plus mangement can theatren to clean house, and do whatever they can do to lure people to the games to fill up those seats if they have to. Plus how many games that you went to last year, is more then how many Chicago White Sox or Cubs games I went to in 2007. And maybe mangement doesn't think it is best to talk about relocating at this time, so you are stuck with them for another year, but maybe attend more games, and try to get many friends to go with you. And when the Cubs come to town, don't that get a lot of seats filled up.

The Pirates have been in Pittsburgh for over 100 years. They aren't going anywhere. There is just too much tradition. MLB would step in to keep them there if need be.

I sympathize. The new stadium is the most beautiful in MLB.

Pirates need a Billy Beane type GM, someone who can be creative and innovative, instead of crying about lack of money.

They have a beautiful stadium, people are just glad they are there and they make like $30 million a year in profit - why would they ever want to leave?

• Andibo

my knee jerk guess is that they get a boatload of cash from the lux tax and they probably have a long term lease on the new ballpark which makes it cost prohibitive to leave.

but i do agree with the person that said they need a billy beane type to install a small market system for success.

Have you seen a Marlin game? They are still there, and I think about 100 people show up per game.

Not completely true but I've seen them on T.V. and had trouble finding fans.

because of initials PP it won't be the same and the name pirates won't fit in any other city