Long distance relationships?

Are you in one? if so, how do you work things out between you? How often do you see each other? How often do you talk to each other over the phone? How does it differ from the 'normal' relationship which isnt long distance?

I guess it tests your love for each other to its best. If you survive that, you can survive anything. lol.

i guess it also allows you to know how much you like the other to know that you can stick it out for them. You'd do anything for a loved one right? hmm...

depends on how long you are able to stick it out.

Favorite Answer

we talk everyday on the phone for about 3 or 4 hours, if u have a webcam and messenger that helps. the thing with being long distance and doing the phone and messenger stuff, is if something is wrong, u can talk it out, instead of getting pissed and leaving. it differs from a normal relationship because ur not seeing them all the time, and u have loads of space, so u can both do ur thing.

My advice here too is visit as often as you can, and if one of u has the idea of going to live with the other, VISIT FIRST alot.

In one since last June. We live about 50 miles apart, 2 hour train ride. Both of us work, both of us have a child to care for. He comes to me mostly as he had ex that shares child care duties, I don't have that freedom. We see each other sometimes every weekend, or if he's working lots then very other week. Its very hard, I do find I am lonely when he goes back and the week following drags for me. But its the same for him too, we text each other and chat on the phone but nothing frantic or scheduled. MSN as well. I have never been in a relationship like this before and had my doubts, I didn't think I could handle it. I am not the paranoic type and therefore don't have insecurity problems but I do get lonely. I feel as if I am choking for him sometimes, but he says the same about me... so...

I don't think I could fancy anyone else while I have him, so I am not looking, but yes, I do need more presence, love and affection than just at weekends. I am doing my best to hang in there until such a time when we see fit to get closer. But thats not possible at the moment even though he has suggested I go to live with him. Its early days for a decision like that yet, plus my daughter is in school and settled. But the thought swims in my head all the time, especially when I am pining for him. It does have its drawbacks and I think I would not go in for one again could I choose.

Well, I'm in one and it's going really well! =)

We talk every night on Skype but my phobia of microphones and stuff was kinda a problem, but he helped me get over it, so even if we break up some day, I still have something good that will stay with me tll I die! =p

Being together is kinda hard for us because we're from seperate countries, damn it! But I'll go there in summer and he'll come here in autumn..

The biggest difference is that you are totally limited. You can't cuddle, hug, goof around and stuff. you must have extreme patience =) The worst part is that I'm never able to be there for him when he feels depressed and vice versa. But it'll come to a point that even his voice will be enough for you.

Try playing games together to give a "being together" feeling and send him gifts as you normally would buy. Meet whenever you can.

You should have trust in him since you won't be able to see his usage of body language and you won't probably be in a great contact with the friends and his environment.

With trust and endurance you can make a ldr work!

Best of luck =)

i have never been in a long distance relationship but i have heard from people that they are hard because you dont get to see the person very often so you feel lonely most of the time. i personally don't think it is worth it to have a long distance relationship because you should have fun when you are young and meet women not be like oh i just want to sit at home and think about my girl that lives 2 states away.

have been in 2..both about 3 hours away. it's tricky and depends on your age.only used to hook up at weekends really , due to work.

I used to speak on the phone at least once a day. normal / local is better in a sense, as you get to spend time with the person.. it's up to you, but the distance thing DOES add strain.

7 years.

250 miles distant.

Love her to bits.

Talk every evening or more + txts etc My god Orange love my Tariff.

Meet up at least every two months; spend holidays together.

Working towards living closer/together again as soon as possible...a target helps.

Never stop missing her.

Absence does make the heart grow fonder; for me.

Shared: Humour, interests, outlook, ease of conversation and in the sack. Joking aside, it all matters.

Good luck.

I'm not in one, but a friend of mine who lived in London was in a relationship with a man from Guernsey, and they lasted for quite some time. In my opinion, love conquers all distances.

By the way, that is the person I was telling you about :-)

i am in one my love is in Germany and am in Middle-east i havent seen him for 3 yrs now . and planning to c each other next summer .... we talk every friday on the phone for 10 to 15 minutes ...we meet 3 times a week chatting .... but still that part missing ...u know it ...

But over all - love overides everything even distance ....yeah when its true love.

I was in one and we talked every day over Skype. But the lack of affection (cuddles, kisses, etc), made me stray I'm afraid to say and we broke up. I'm sure there are people willing to really make it work but I found it really hard.

hiya, i was in a long distance relationship for 3 yrs. i would go down and see him a few times a yr and he did the same. it was so hard at times, i had my doubts and my worries, but in the end it worked and he's been living with me for a yr now.