Anonymous

Being Black, Is it normal to hate White "groups"?

I don't hate Whites per se but feel nervous in any situation where the majority is White and I'm a lone darkie stickin out like a sore thumb. I have no problems dealing with white people one-on-one but as soon as they're a big group, I'm uncomfortable. As you know It wouldn't be long before one of them motherfukkers drops the N-bomb. What's worse I feel vulnerable to be attacked anytime I don't "behave" according to their standards.

This makes me wary. As a thumb rule, I avoid Whites that "look" or "feel" a certain way. That prevents conflict. Kinda instintsc come into play.

I'm sure even Whites have similar feelings when they're the minority. I wouldn't call it racism. It's just something subconscious.

Favorite Answer

actually i strongly disagree with you. let me explain. as far as your feelings, that is the way you have been taught. as for feeling worried in groups, they don't bother me. if you look on the inside of people you will learn that race does not matter. i was the only white guy on shift at a big city firehouse in America, i had no fear. in fact i felt more protected by my crew then i did at home. the rest of the crew was black or Hispanic. i could not think of a better group that i have had the honor of knowing or the honor of working with. hell as for the n word, i was called it more then anyone ( i was the white "n***** of the station). we as a society pay to much attention to a da*n word. if you ignore it , they will stop using it. they do out of stupidity and because they want to get a rise from you.

as for my fire crew, i moved 4 years ago and am still keep in touch . when i visit they take me on calls ( even in the projects), and most of the people i meet are impressed by the crazy white guy that stands his ground when he hears, "honky get your white a$$ out of here before we kill you". i heard that for 10 years at that station ( not from my crew) racism is stupid, but will never die if we don't try harder as a culture to stop it. hope this helps. JD

Source(s): engineer/ paramedic 16 years
  • Owl

I don't know that hating groups of White people is the correct terminology I would use the word leery. I find it illogical to have so many years of distrust and racial hate among the races and now all of a sudden we're great buddies.

I believe the proof of that as already been stated when someone once say the most segregated hour in America is Sunday Morning at 11:00 AM.

Well it's nice that you assume that any situation where 'whites are the majority' (which, where I come from, would be everywhere) means that you would be discriminated against. I think you're just as prejudice, calling whites "motherfukkers". Classy man.

Also, I'm white and wouldn't feel threatened being a minority, assuming it wasn't on the streets and all the black people were in a gang, with guns, or something.

Maybe being black is tough but dude, most people aren't racist!

I won't lie, I'm going to agree with you, but mine is different. I don't feel comfortable around ANY GROUP no matter the race. I think it's natural to feel weary. You're less likely to be ostracized by people if you are distinctively different from them, not just in skin color, but other factors too.

But this is not true for all cases. I hope that doesn't stop you from immersing yourself in those groups and learning about a people different from what you're used to.

I agree with you. We all do this irregardless of our skin color. I don't think it is racism.

I call it "cultural choice". I have preference and you have preference. We tend to stay away from those situations that make us uncomfortable and move toward those situations we enjoy. There is nothing racist about making a choice.

It is natural for all humans to do this. And doing so is not evil.

It is when we act in a way that makes someone else feel uncomfortable because of their race that our actions become racist.

I was born and raised in Iowa. Grew up around mostly whites but lived in a predominantly black section of the community. It was extremely segregated where I grew up. I know how you feel to be the only Black in certain situations. I often found myself the only black in many of the upper level courses I took in high school. It was insulting to get questions like, "You're not like other black people." WTF is that supposed to mean? Should I have responded with, "your not like those other white people who parade around in sheets and leave burning crosses on front lawns." I have met white people who had never seen or spoken to a black person until they attended college. It didn't make me hate white people by being in all white situations, but it for damn sure made me aware of who I was.

Isn't that just the same as going overseas and having all the people of different nationality around? In that case no i dont feel uncomfortable..

I call that voluntary segregation. Just act normal and people won't give you looks. Those Whites are probably thinking you are going to pull the gun on them any second with your weird behavior. You are artificially creating conflict situations.

I DON'T HATE WHITES, AND I FOR DAMN SURE DON'T FEEL NERVOUS WHEN THEY IN A BIG GROUP AND I'M STICKING OUT. SHlT I'MA BE ME AND WHAT SHOULD I HAVE TO FEAR FOR? THEY ARE NOT ANY BETTER, OR ANY SUPERIOR THAN I. BECAUSE IF THEY CALL ME A NlGGA THEN THEY GON' GET SOMETHIN BACK FROM ME!!! BUT USUALLY I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM RACIALLY, SO THEY GOOD WITH ME.

Everyone hates to be the minority, regardless of skin colour, gender or sexual orientation.