Dad
Dad asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

Will a private message help solve incorrect reporting?

As you might not already know, Staffs are considering showing private messages of how well and badly you are reporting content within the Answers Community. This will also help you estimate your report-reputation efficiency and power... The highly your reputation is, the faster content you report will be removed.

But my question is: Will this private message help Users report more correctly than they are currently? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of this new upcoming private message?

See link for details:

http://suggestions.yahoo.com/detail/?prop=answers&...

Spelling correction: Higher***

Favorite Answer

I read that entry in the Forum and I think that user has a good suggestion.

User's who are reporting badly may start to refrain from needless reporting and lower the flood of appeals the staff have to deal with.

Apparently the previous poster is not aware of the Forum and the suggestions posted.

The only disadvantage might be that those who are told they are reporting properly might go report crazy.

I still think it's worth a shot.

I think private messages will be very helpful for those of us who are here for the right reasons. Personally, I err on the side of caution so I can be sure I'm not reporting without cause. I only report blatant violations, such as underage (under 13--they aren't allowed to ask or answer in the first place) users asking sexual questions, racism, bigotry, or any other form of hatred. I don't bother reporting minor infractions, such as chatting.

I don't think it'll matter a bit to the trolls who report just because they can. Even when their accounts get suspended for falsely reporting, they just open another account and get back to business. I think the best way to stop that is to not allow reporting until level 3. It takes a while to get to that level, so that would hinder trolls who open new accounts every day.

Yes, it may be a good idea. Certainly one would want a good reporting reputation versus a reputation as a user that is just "report happy". I avoid reporting most times, unless it's blatant, like a young lady here not too long ago, who posted a profane rant. To top it off, it didn't even answer a question, it was more like a chat to another user.

• Stuart

While I can tell that you have really given some serious thought to this very important question, I have to ask why?

If you don't think Yahoo! Answers is being administered correctly, how about you fill out an application and go work at Yahoo! and start setting policy for this company?

Frankly, Yahoo! does a pretty good job administering a website that has hundreds of thousands of hits a day and a dynamic question base. As a 'top' contributor, you already know that.

Source(s): "Apparently the previous poster is not aware of the Forum and the suggestions posted." Jeepers. *sigh* I don't understand why I have to present my credentials every time I address a question. Guess if I did, I could be a "top contributor", huh?

See now, a troll might see 'private message' in YOUR question...and report it as xxx content (mistaking it for private 'massage'...some people can't spell and/or are just looking for the worst in every question).

Some people report before even opening up the questions...and that's one thing that causes a lot of fraudulent reporting.

I imagine messages sent to reporters couldn't make matters worse...and might help.

With out making value judgments or evaluating the truth/facts of an answer the system will remain flawed no matter what they do. Have you noticed the disclaimer yahoo posts about content? It's hypocritical of them to ignore content while policing tone.

I also agree.

I don't report often, but when I do I would like to know if I am right or wrong.

I have received Violations for questions I have reported as violations because I was wrong, and to this day I don't know why.

All I know is that those who want to abuse the system will continue to do so.

I think it will be of use to those who take the system seriously and the ones who abuse it will continue on reporting whatever they please despite a low rating.

Maybe if Yahoo hit them where they live and docked them a few points for their negligent/spiteful/inaccurate reports they would think twice.

My suggested system would only be administered AFTER the user has been found to be an inaccurate reporter, of course.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me,, it may help th non-troll users in the Y!A community understand their reporting status, and what they should and shouldn't report.

• ?

I definitely think it will. I've always wondered my 'reputation' on reporting and I think this would be a great way to find out.

:)