promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

is there any way to bring back the glossy shine to my trucks paint?

my truck seems to have lost its luster and i want to bring it back?

and how long would it last?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Use a fine grit rubbing compound. Apply with a clean rag. Rub the compound onto the surface until it is gone. The compound has grit to it that actually removes the old dull surface and brings out a fresh surface. You can apply the rubbing compound with a power buffer if you are careful, but it is easy to burn through the surface around the edges of panels. If you apply by hand you shouldn't damage anything but it is alot of work. Be sure to wax the fresh surface to protect it. This will last a long time as long as you keep it waxed. Beware, some surfaces are too far gone to be fixed. Try a small spot first.

Source(s): 12 yrs paint industry
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

first start with buying a orbital car waxer from walmart for about 20.00 bucks with the 10 inch pad and get extra thick pads they cut threw the oxidation and build up better, then picfk up some mirror glaze made by mcguire its there number 2 bottle, then wash the truck real good and once dry put some of the mirror glaze on the pad and go over you truck real good, then wipe it off doesnt need to dry, then with new pad use mcguires number 27 canuba wax and go uver hole truck, not in the sun thou, and then take wax off. after it dryes about 4 minutes or wait till your done putting on the rest of the wax, you'll see a big difference and after waxing your truck will be a breese and only make it look better.

Source(s): i detailed cars for ferrari of los gatos, in california, for a buddy that owned his own detail shop, those days are over but i still detail in my garage that same way i told you.
  • 1 decade ago

Try some soft rubbing compund and cheese cloth get at any parts store

• 1 decade ago

Nu-finish works great but if you are doing it by hand takes a lot of work

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I had the some problem a year ago..

i had to go to CJ (my bf that paints cars) he said that i probley had to paint it again (just glosser)

I havn't had a problem since then.

and if you decide to paint the glooser again the person who does it MACK SURE YOU TRUST THEM WITH YOUR TRUCK....

• 1 decade ago

maybe get it waxed or polish it and it should last 3-4 monthes (if you take care of it.)

• JP
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

a good paste wax, with alot of elbow grease should have it looking good. do it about twice a year.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.