You must be a Organ Donor! What do you think?

Was watching the news (32) and saw some official say he wants this to be a law (didn't get who)--no choice. How do you feel that you must be a Organ Donor?

I think this could be abused--just my feeling.

I talk to a couple other countries and it seems this was tried in their country too.

But what is your view--good or a bad thing?

Best Answer

I think the minute a government is ordering you to be an organ donor, the democracy is gone. In my view that is not done. Your body is a vessel, given to you by a higher force. So you decide what happens with it. And indeed it can be misused also. In England there is a story about this, an undertaker had made a deal with an University, where they teach-ed on dead body's. Also there is a big organ trade, there was even a scandal in where they sold organs from baby's. And the parents did not know. They not only lost their child, they also were confronted with the fact that there were organs missing. I mean, how low can you go..? So I think that a Government never can decide what you will or have to do with your body. And the minute they do that is a very bad thing.I know, because they tried to do this in my Country. To make a law that everybody automatically is a donor. It was turned down though. I mean, it is ridiculous. Looks like the book 1984 from George Orwell.

Against. I'm all for people donating their organs, many are needed and it saves lives but only if they want to. Being forced to be a donor goes against the principal of physical integrity which is an important human right and against many peoples religious freedom.

Are you sure about what you heard? I know some countries including Belgium have a system where you are automatically a donor unless you opt out meaning if you die in an accident your organs can be used but there is still freedom to opt out. In other countries donors have to actively sign up.

I can't imagine anyone advocating forced donors for the above reasons. It also smells of the NAZI era

I am against that. I am all for saving a life, but I think it would be abused. What would stop them from using organs and body parts for scientific experiments, bio-research, medical experiments, who knows what else. I am sure you don't have a say to how your organs will be used. Anyways, people should have the right to determine (within reason) what happens to their bodies when they die. It also might interfere with some peoples religion and we have to keep church and state separate. I don't think a law like this would be passed.

There are many religions that require you to go to the afterlife whole. While there is a need for organs, it is like giving blood - you can't mandate it, people have to give out of the goodness of their own hearts.

And yes, I'm an organ donor.

The only people I would ever donate any of my organs would be my children. In that case I wouldn't even care if the right to remove organs would be abused.

Other than that, no - I decide what happens with my body.

Absolutely not. Organs belong to the person, not the state. I am a donor, but that is my choice. I do not need the government to tell me that I have to do this.

I heard that too.I was appalled. I think it's wrong to even suggest such a thing. I know there is a waiting line but this is not the answer. You're correct it could be abused in every way. And that answer here about selling tissues , I hadn't heard about that but just turns my stomach. How awful.

I think it's a bad idea. I don't mine giving them willingly but not if I don't want to. People already have a fear that doctors will let them die if they can make money on a transplant. Not that I think it's a reasonable fear but it's their fear no the less. So No I am very much against the idea. Not to mention there are some religions that would absolutely forbid it. So what would they do?

You may become an organ donor against your will with all the recent scandals involving funeral homes selling tissue to transplant surgeons. I think it's a good thing because there are long waits for organs and often they go to the people with enough cash to pay for the operation when it could go to people who need it more. I've seen some pretty atrocious decisions on transplant lists.

I do not think forcing people to donate their organs is a "good thing"...plus I don't think that will EVER happen. There are too many people with certain cultural or religious beliefs that would be adamantly against that.