Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionReality Television · 1 decade ago

IDA: Oliver Twist (1838) by Charles Dickens, would Nancy really have had a "Cockney" accent like todays

I'm just interested in your thoughts into it and am not trying to have a go at the prog as so far I've liked it!

Favorite Answer

My nan was born in 1879 and she talked like that. Not quite as posh as Pyscho - she would have said, " Yus, gor blimey,Guv "

• momof3

Yes but it would have been more or less understandable to other people as it was very thick.

Did you know that our language actually come from the Germans and also the Netherlands.

Old English consisted of all this

North Germanic language Norse, spoken by the Vikings who invaded and settled mainly in the northeast of England

Middle English was infuenced by.

Norman Conquest in 1066, the Norman kings and their high nobility spoke only a variety of French called Anglo-Norman. English continued to be the language of the common people

So we are a mixed breed in language coming from germany, netherlands, romans french and the vikings.

Source(s): O level History lessons I did pay some attention pml

Yes and even more so I think Elric because the class difference was more pronounced then and a cockney was really a cockney then - born within the sound of Bow Bells!!!

I would think that she would have had a proper cockney ascent not a stage one also she i would think along with others of her ilk would have been more course than the cockneys of today

I don't think so as language is organic & constantly changing. Just think of those war time films with people like John Mills. All the ordinary people sounded really 'posh'.

• jass

Yes, I think so. Not exactly like today's accent, but a "street" version of the London accent.

• Afi

Yes of course. Those were the days of your proper cockney speaking folks....Pearly kings and all that.

I don't really know to be honest Elric, but they always portray all poor Dickens characters like that, so maybe they did !!

Going by my Nan and Great Nan yep Elric she would of done.

depends on her environment -you know there are people in 2008 still talking and living at 1780.