Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 1 decade ago

Oil paint mediums?

Do you have any recipes for making oil paint mediums?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The oil painting process requires care if you want to create a long lasting painting. The first layers of paint should be thin, meaning, thinned with mineral spirits. Subsequent layers should be more oil-rich.

Layer 1. use mineral spirits or turpentine.

Layer 2. use paint straight from tube or add a turpentine/linseed oil mix. 5 parts turp to 1 part oil.

Later layers should have as much or more linseed oil mixed into the medium. Never use straight linseed oil in the paint, however, as this can cause the paint to wrinkle. Always dilute the linseed oil first with turpentine by at most 50%.

Remember. each new layer of paint needs the same amount or more linseed oil as the layer underneath of it.

If you want to glaze, that is, lay down an extremely thin, unifying color over the entire surface or portions of the surface of the painting. Use this common glaze medium:

one part turpentine

one part stand oil

one part damar varnish

You can use linseed oil in place of the stand oil, but the stand oil version will create a stronger paint film. This medium begins to tack up quickly. So don't expect to work with it on the surface of the canvas. It tacks up quickly, but takes a long time to dry to the touch.

Cobalt dryer, which can be purchased on the market, will greatly reduce drying time. Use it SPARINGLY! A few small drops go a long way.

• Amie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

You have already recieved some good advice. Every artist has their own way of doing things. As for being a beginner, you just have to play with it. As many have said, oil takes a long time to dry. I left a pallet full of fresh, unmixed oil paint on Thursday, and when I returned today, Wednesday, it was all still very workable. !!!However, my painting was dry as a bone. Of course I only blocked in my shapes and still need to go into it and bring in the finishing details. One of my favorite mediums after Turp, is Japan drier. You can buy it reletivity cheap at a good home improvement store like Home Depot. Liquin is another good quality medium to speed up your drying time, and will give your painting a rich look. Working with oils is often a process of much layering and many glazes. Everyone usually developes their own style. After much practice. That's what art is all about. Practice practice and more practice. Before I begin an important painting in oil, I usually get into shape by painting a master study. What ever you do, don't fret, and don't let yourself get too discouraged, each painting you do you will become better and better. The best of luck with it, and to you. L.White

• Steve
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

most simple mediums are just varying mixes of natural turpentine and linseed or safflower oil.

you can dissolve a small amount of beeswax in the turps- makes tonal gradations smoother.

you can add driers to your mediums

i think you can add damar (resin), i guess it gives you a glossy finish. never tried it though, dont know what its like to use mixed with paint. I only use for varnish.

personally i reckon people worry too much about mediums, most times a bit of turps or oil seems to do the job.

• 1 decade ago

Glaze 1. Any Colour.

1pt. of oil glaze.3 parts white spirit

Your choice colour- stainers/art oil coulurs.

1 tablespoon undercoat flat white eggshell.

Glaze 2.. Ebony Graphite glaze.

6oz. powdered graphite.

Small tin gloss polyurethane yarnish

Choice oil colours. Mix the above ingredients (without the graphite) until you get the consistency you want, then add the graphite powder. This gives a gun-metal finish and suits chairs/trunks large flat surfaces.

Source(s): For other amazing finishes try- JOCASTA INNES PAINT MAGIC.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There are hundreds of formulas for oil painting. If you are really interested in knowing about them there's only one book you need," Formulas for Painters" by Massy. He researched the subject and recorded all these formulas for us.

Source(s): Artist oil painter (30+yrs)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The book by massey is pretty good .Just be sure to exercise caution some of them are very toxic.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The book by massey its great

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.