CanI just add"Esquire " after my full name because it sounds cool?

I was wondering if I could start introducing myself as Joseph J Josephson Esquire ?? i live in NH and tried reading the laws but cant quite decipher what it says. I think it says I can as long as i'm not trying to fool anyone. But what if people think that I'm a lawyer just from the title? Is is a real title anyway? Thanks

• Favorite Answer

I did it.

Do a lot of lawyers really do it? I know it's kinda for them, but I didn't think that many really do it. Sh!t, I kinda wanna be a lawyer now.

• Jimmy

You can, but I think it's kind of a useless gesture. I'm a lawyer, I see very few lawyers use "Esq." after their names.

There MAY be a problem if you lead anyone to believe that you are a lawyer or have legal training. For me, it wouldn't be worth the risk of getting sued for malpractice by people who interpret your comments to be legal advice.

Oh yes, you can be sued for legal malpractive EVEN IF you are not a lawyer in many states.

I'm pretty sure in the Constitution there is something about how there are to be "no titles of nobility" or something to that effect. "Esquire" falls under "nobility", so, you would in fact, be infringing on the Constitution and could be tried in a federal court.

equire in theus refers to someone who practices law but typicaly is used if your one of the following

The eldest sons of knights and their eldest sons, in perpetual succession

The eldest sons of younger sons of peers and their eldest sons, in perpetual succession (children of peers already had a specific precedence higher in the table)

Those who bear special office in the Royal Household

Sheriffs while in office

Justices of the Peace while in commission

Commissioners of the Court of Bankruptcy

Masters of the Supreme Court

Deputy Lieutenants and Commissioners of Lieutenancy

Queen's Counsel

Barristers-at-law (but not Solicitors)

Holders of a degree at one of the Two Universities (Oxford and Cambridge)

Serjeants-at-law (of whom none have been appointed since the 19th century)

Royal Academicians

Officers of the Royal Navy with rank of Lieutenant or higher, of the Army with rank of Captain or higher, or of the Royal Air Force with rank of Flight Lieutenant or higher

Bachelors of Divinity, Law, or Physic, and others (note that these were all traditionally post-graduate degrees, not first degrees)

Men to whom the title is granted by the Monarch

Men who have been addressed as "trusty and well-beloved" by the Monarch; this includes all male officers of the armed services and most male recipients of decorations

Foreign noblemen whose titles have not otherwise been recognised in the United Kingdom

Civil servants

Notaries Public

• People thinking you're a lawyer and you trying to practice law are two different things... I don't see why you couldn't, afterall, you mother could have added it as a name when you were born.

Depends on your state.

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/04/01/florida-prose...

As an attorney myself, I am not overly fond of it.

You can do it, but it does not sound cool. A lot of lawyers do it, but a lot of lawyers do a lot of other bizarre stuff, too. It will probably get you made fun of.

You can put anything you want after your name.

But, unless you hold the qualifications for the name, it's meaningless and people will know it.

It might make you look ridiculous to those who know what it actually means.

No, you cannot. Nor can you add Dr., RN, or any other designation that requires licensure by the state or federal government.

You can do that.

It's pompous, IMO, but there's no rule preventing you from doing that.