Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetWikipedia · 1 decade ago

How reliable is Wikipedia as a source of info?

I know people submit the articles, but if writing assignments, researching etc, how reliable is it? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

i find the entire Wiki series to be very reliable.

Wikipedia is reliable to the extent that you check the article's sources. Sources are usually marked with a link that looks like a superscripted [1] or any other number between brackets, these will take you to the bottom of the page, where links to the source material are.

In your research you can also cite these sources you gather there. Just do not plagarize the content! Even though it is open source, and free, teachers hate copycats. So even though your data turns out the same, do re-write the data in your own words. Teachers do know how to search for the sentences in your works, and will flunk a copycat.

• Gail

If you know how to use it then yes, it can be very reliable. Sure in theory, anyone can modify a page but it's not actually the case. Besides, for information to stay on Wikipedia it has to have an external reference. This means that someone else's done the research for you and you can just read off the highlights. As with anything on the Internet, be careful what you reference.

Wikipedia isn’t very reliable, because as you previously mentioned, people submit the articles. I know it’s a very efficient and quick source, but it’s better to have a good work done with reliable information. I tell you this because I’ve had very bad experiences with the info from that page. If you want or need to use the info from that source, just make sure to read it carefully and also try to backup your information with other reliable sources like Britannica Online (which is better, and has more complete and efficient articles). Besides, in most of the schools, teachers don’t accept info from Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is generally reliable for just personal research, but not for school. Anyone on can edit Wikipedia pages (although lies are usually fixed relatively soon). Often the pages with a star in the top right corner are better, as well look for ones with a lot of references. In general don't use Wikipedia for school or work because they aren't always fully accurate.

It can be reliable as a source of info. But I wouldnt trust that it is all the time. Do other research as well to back up the info.

Wikipedia is not that reliable. You can use it, but make sure you check on a different site to see if the information match up.

• Mark R

Wikipedia is generally fairly reliable, as there are a lot of people who try to keep articles on their subject correct.

It's certainly more accurate than a general Google search as anyone can put anything they want on the internet and no-one can make them change it. If something wrong is put on Wikipedia, it will generally be corrected.

I would not use Wikipedia as a source for researching assignments. The main reasons I would not do this are:

1. Your teacher/professor will likely not accept them as valid sources.

2. Anyone can edit almost anything on Wikipedia. I used to contribute more regularly on Wikipedia in the past and I would also encounter many people who would sign on to Wikipedia just to put fake information or foul language just to cause trouble, so it is hard to verify if everything you are reading is true or not.

If you are doing a paper, I would use a more reputable site, such as Britannica.com or the like.

I nerver like using Wikipedia because people can just go on there and edit the pages. They can screw up the information or just totally rewrite the page. I once got a page that said F**k you! It was really bad. If there are any other sources, use the other ones. Wikipedia has some pretty reliable sources but you don't know if what your writing down is fake!

I'd say articles are primarily true. For one thing, all their info is derived from several sources, indexed in the "References" section. Even if someone does happen to vandalize it, it's probable that one of Wiki's hundreds of millions of users, as well as several million unregistered users, would be courteous enough to edit it back.

As for assignments for school and college, I'd ask the teacher. I don't see anything wrong with Wiki, but some teachers refuse to accept it as a source.

£