Soprano~baby asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Pregnant dog and im scared =(?

ok its my dogs first litter im scared im not gonna be here or she wont know wat to do wat if the puppies arnt breathing i mean im just scared is it possible that the dog could die o god i dont want my baby sassey to die can u give me all u know about this subject thnks

Update:

the reason im scared is cause im 12

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

buy a book on the subject, they really help!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Someone really should be with her when she is giving birth - and dogs more often than not have their puppies at night.

Puppies and their mother do get into trouble, and you owe it to her to either be there or find someone who knows what to do who can be.

If she is close to having the puppies - by a week or less, you should be taking her temperature and watching - it will drop a point or so about 24 hours before she delivers, and then go back up.

Do you have all the 'stuff' you need to have these puppies?

She should have newspaper to rip up, and a private room with NO intruders, a safe box to have her puppies in, and a big bol of puppy food for herself to feed her growing babies, along with a boiwl of fresh water all the time.

You need to be prepared - and make sure you have everything you and she will need, the most important being communication with your vet when her temp dips so you know that your vet will be available when you need them.

Source(s): many years of raising and rescuing dogs
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ok, calm down, there is nothing scary about a dog having a baby, ik first time it could be really scary, but the dog will definetly know what to do, it her instinct, and she wont have trouble if ur not there, but a puppy might die, if it has stuff in it throat and ur not there to clear it out. so when she is at the end of her pregnancy dont go any where for tooo long. And Yes im not trying to scare u, but ur dog could die, but it is very unlickely that she will, it rarely happens.

i hope i helped, and give sassey a big hug and kiss for me...best of luck to u and her.

• 1 decade ago

Your dog and her puppies will be just fine, whether you're there or not. In fact, you're so nervous about it, it would probably be better for the dog and puppies if you weren't there.

I'm curious, though. If you know nothing about breeding dogs, why did you breed her? Are you prepared for the expenses involved in raising puppies?

Before you can sell or give away the puppies, you should have them all vet checked to make sure they are healthy. You should get them their first puppy shots and have them wormed. If your dog is a mutt, congratulations, you've just contributed, albeit unknowingly, to the number of dogs that will be put to sleep as soon as their new owners get tired of them. And if your dog is purebred, then you'll also have to get her checked for any inherited genetic disease - and the male should be checked, too. They both should be OFA checked, and possibly Vetgen checked for heritary diseases and disorders. You'll want to present proof of these checks to prospective buyers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

First: Talk to a vet - they are a proffessional and the only person that can give you accurate information regarding this topic.

Second: Take a few days off work and stay home with your dog around the time she's due and keep an eye on her.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm going to guess that since you are 12, you weren't the one to make the decision to breed her. There's a lot of good advice above me about what to do and what you need. I'd like to add that I think your parents are the ones who will need to supervise the whelping, not you. Calm down. Most b*tches whelp on their own with no problems, but go with your folks to the vet and have him/her give you pointers on what to do in an emergency

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well why cant u be there for yr dog? well i hope i can help here i think u sound go to the vets and tell them why u are scared and there will give u some help.

• 1 decade ago

first calm down, it dont matter if the dog has had 1 litter of puppies or 30 litters. they always know what to do so chill. my dog had her first litter at 2 in the morning and she waz fine. she'll be okay.

Source(s): good luck!
  • 1 decade ago

Dogs give birth in the wild all the time. She'll do just fine. Unless you have an English Bulldog, then you'd better get her in for a c-section!

• 1 decade ago

Get someone with experience or ask a vet

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.