If I work in LA for 3 months, but went to school in IL rest of the year, what's my state of residence for tax?

My parents live in IL so their IL address is my Permanent Residence.

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer


    however, you'll find that it makes little difference except for which income tax form you file. CA still demands that you file a form 540-PR [part year], which is available online from their Franchise Tax Board [might be at ftb.gov -- can't recall].

    I'll bet that IL also wants you to file an income tax return and on their regular form for residents. Look for a credit on the IL return for income taxes paid to other states.


    Source(s): cpa
  • 1 decade ago

    IL would be your permanent residence but if you earned money in LA, you would have to pay state and local taxes there, for the portion of the year you worked there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.